cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
cfcboy
Just joined
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

EliteBook 8540p GPU Upgrade

HP Recommended

Hi all

Ive recently been thinking about upgrading my HP Elitebook 8540p laptop. Now the current spec is pretty decent but the GPU is letting it down big time:

I7 3ghz cpu
8gb MEM
Nvidia NVS 5100M

I didnt realise this until today but the GPU can actually be replaced (i thought it was soldered in) but I have no idea what to be looking at as a replacement. 
The current GPU is roughly 88m long and 76mm wide with little space to fit anything bigger.

So with that in mind would anyone know of a good gpu for roughly the same size that would fit and benefit my laptop? Ive searched around but struggling to find anything 

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
cfcboy
Author
Just joined
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GPU Card  is the card i would like to swap

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
redlofredlof
Level 7
Level 7
804 742 69 165
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

even if you replace the gpu, the heatsink will not be able to cool it properly. 

put the part number of your computer in the below linkk and see if you can find any compatible VGA cards.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

DatComputerGuy
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

according to the service manual, here are the compatible video cards

FirePro M5800

Quadro FX 880M

Quadro NVS 5100M

Quadro FX 1800M

Get Lucky

jbosari
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/Hp-Elitebook-8540p-Upgrading-Graphics/td...

only 8540w can be upgraded unless you can figure out how to hack the bios to recognize your motherboard. 

draarn
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 8540p and 8540w share the same bios, and basicly I belive they have the same motherboard. The difference is the mounted hardware from HP - cpu, gpu, ...I think all of the GPUs listed above will work on both models.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation