Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP Experts (it is Expert day :smileyhappy:),

some days ago I bought an HP EliteBook 8560p with ATI Radeon HD 6470 M (video card). Today I updated the BIOS to F.22.

As other users already have mentioned similar in various internet boards I am uncomfortable with the fan behaviour of my EliteBook, too. I.e. although I deactivated the "fan always on" option for AC power mode, to me it is annoying that the fan all of a sudden (without any considerable CPU load...) starts spinning with high speed, resembling almost a vacuum cleaner (as another frustrated user described it...)

I did some changes in the processor power management (under extended energy options) in order to reduce the fan activity. I.e. I adjusted these energy options for AC power mode corresponding to the options for battery mode... Actually it seems that the fan starts less often, but when it starts it is still quite loud...

On a board a user wrote: "Now testing the 8560p with i5-2520m and HD3000 graphics. The fan turns on less often, and it's noise is more agreable than before (i5*2540m and AMD). I'm still a little bit disappointed that the fan turns on from time to time even with very little CPU load. Yesterday a friend showed a Macbook Pro to me which was virtually noise-free... It would be great to have this in the windows world, too."

Before I decided to buy the 8560p with ATI Radeon HD 6470 M (=AMD) an HP sales person assured that this additional video power would not worsen the fan behaviour and how sophisticated the heat pipe technology in this notebook would be...

Well, I could imagine that a new BIOS version would bring an improvement for these fan difficulties - I think many EliteBook 8560p owners would appreciate it.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. Fan is roaring like a vacuum cleaner :manfrustrated:

Updated to BIOS F.22 yesterday. No improvements so far.

Any solutions? The machine was quite a bit to expensive to put it into a locker to avoid noise disturbance 😉

HP Recommended

Any news on fan issues ? It's really annoying . I have a 8560p i2 2620m with SSD . The fan is very load when it's active , even on battery . My old 8530p is a lot quiet  😞

It's a real dissapoint for such a great machine to have this kind of problem , especially because it's considered  a business laptop , how can you go in a meeting and the laptop to start screaming like a hurricane ?

HP Recommended

Hey guys,

HP's technical service exchanged my fan one week ago. Improvements after that: Zero. The thing is still much to loud and still kicks in at even very low CPU loads.

I actually told them to look after the thermal paste under the heatpipe, but obviously they didn't take care of that. I still think it could be the reason for the fan noise, but I actually don't know what to do next now. Talk HP into shipping my computer to Poland again? I doubt that the technical guyes have actually read my error description. At least I got no comment on what they did and why.

I already tried to contact user Redwing on the thermal pasting issue (my request see here), but no success so far. Perhaps you guys want to give it another try. (I know he's talking about the 8560w, but maybe same problem, same solution?)

Your comments and tipps are heartily welcomed. I would also be interested in your idle temps. See mine by cllicking on the second link above. Are there any 8560p owners who have idle temps that differ from mine?

best

HP Recommended

Is it normal that an Intel i5-2540M processor has a temperature range between +40 °C (+104 °F) and +50 °C  (+122 °F) - in idle state, without any considerable load?

In my EliteBook 8560p the fan kicks in when the CPU reaches around +50 °C. Is this normal, too?

Would it harm the CPU when the fan starts cooling at +60 °C (+140 °F)?

If it doesn't, how would it be possible to change the fan behaviour in that sense?

HP Recommended

My company bought this laptop few months ago. Last week the fan started to make a very annoying sound. I noticed that if you tilt the laptop backwards (lift the front of the laptop a couple inches from the table) the sound goes away.

HP Recommended

my cpu tepms are fairly high, im using speedfan to monitor my temps. and at even 40-50 % cpu load im getting temps in the 90-94 celius range.

i cant imagine what it will do when i push it into the 75% and up range.

this is on a Hp 8560p, i7 2860qm, 120 gb ssd Primary, 1 tb hdd secondary, 6470 graphics

this laptop is less than a week old, im thinking i might have to repaste the cpu to heatsink to see if my temps will drop.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b443/Padron26/29feb975.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

I'm reading all these messages about CPU fans being noisy and it appears there is no solution to the problem. I have the same issue with a DC7800. I have reloaded the BIOS, chipsetl, cleaned the fan, replace the thermal paste, all to no avail.

Anybody out there with some new ideas?

HP Recommended

Same boat as everyone else, had the fan replaced by service, came back, still was noisy. I did notice that my new fan will not work with speedfan and allow me to adjust the speed like i was able to before.

Just posting as another unsatisfied HP customer

HP Recommended
The two most common reasons for a fan to be making a lot of noises are debris in/around the fan itself or a high amount of RPMs. One thing that I suggest everyone try is make sure that the fan area is free of debris.

I suggest periodically following the steps in this document for regular maintenance on their notebook. It is possible that you will remove debris which is leading the notebook to run hotter than normal or be obstructing the fan during operation leading to more noise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.