Note on archived topics.
10-18-2016 08:22 AM
10-19-2016 02:19 PM - edited 10-19-2016 02:20 PM
Thank you for joining HP Forums.
I'll be glad to help you :)
As I understand the computer isn't reinstalling windows as it should,
though, you've tried twice.
If the windows/HP Recovery Image is corrupt the windows will not install,
Or possibly a hardware failure with the drive - I would recommend running a hardware test on the hard drive using the H/w diagnostics tool by HP
Don't worry though as I have a few steps to resolve this concern :)
If hardware tests have passed, follow the below steps:
- Open HP System Recovery:
Do not perform a system recovery! Stop at the first recovery screen.
- Press the F11 key repeatedly while the computer is starting.
- If you have a recovery disc, turn on the PC and insert the first recovery disc into the drive. Use the disc to enter the system recovery.
- Select Microsoft Startup Repair tool and wait for the repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer; even if the startup repair tool finds errors but cannot fix them.
- If the error message persists, open the recovery manager screen as was done in step 1.
- At the recovery manager screen, press ALT + D.
- Enter the following text at the command prompt: bootrec /rebuildbcd
- If bootrec displays "Add installation to boot list?", press y.
After bootrec completes successfully, the computer displays "The operation completed successfully".
- To close the command prompt, enter the following text: exit
- At the Recovery Manager screen, select Microsoft Startup Repair tool (again) and wait for startup repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer.
- The error should no longer open. If it does, perform a system recovery, making sure to backup important files.
If the issue persists, order the recovery media online: Click here (use it to reinstall windows)
Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
I am an HP Employee