cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
1 0 0 13
Message 1 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17" Left Hinge and Casing

So, I have had this laptop (HP Envy 17" Touchsmart) for a while now, and I've loved pretty much everything about it up until now.

I just noticed that the plastic and metal portions of the casing is starting to separate by the left hinge.  It can be pressed back almost into place, but every time I open or close my laptop the casing pops apart again.  It's only been a problem for around a day, but the separation is increasing at a worrying rate and I'm afraid it's going to start hurting the insides of the laptop.

I noticed several other posts by people who have had this exact same problem, but in each case the solution was never posted directly in the thread.  I was wondering how to fix it, or at least stop the separation from propogating so I don't end up hurting my laptop.

Thanks,

--SnowK

192 REPLIES 192
Mrjulius Tutor
Tutor
10 6 0 4
Message 2 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi same here,

It makes me sweat cold :mansad:

DSC_0008.jpg

Retired george-p
Retired
15312 9285 121 368
Message 3 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @SnowK , @Mrjulius ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
Tags (1)
Hurdles Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

This is my first time ever posting on a forum, but I just started to have this exact problem on the left side of my 17 inch HP Envy as well, and this issue just started occurring a couple hours ago. The left hinge seems to be undone, and when you open/ close it it seems to pry off the left corner of the plastic bottom casing. After the laptop is completely closed, I can push the parts back together, but when I open the laptop again, laptop is getting torn open again. At the moment, the laptop seems to running fine (I am posting on this forum using the laptop) but I feel like after a month of these plastic parts scratching, some permanent damage might be inflicted on this laptop. What can I do? Is there a simple plastic part that I need to replace? Or is it much more complex than that?

Any responses/help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Retired Omar-E
Retired
10015 6655 119 419
Message 5 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Hurdles 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
lmessina Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I, too, now have this problem. I purchased this HP Envy 17" Touchsmart last summer, and first noticed this hinge issue a week or so ago. Any assistance appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
17645 13059 252 988
Message 7 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @lmessina ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Mrjulius Tutor
Tutor
10 6 0 4
Message 8 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HP,

It's been a week but no properly response help in my side. thanks,

Retired Omar-E
Retired
10015 6655 119 419
Message 9 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mrjulius 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
22 22 0 10
Message 10 of 193
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem described above. Envy 17 (silver) i5 - the corner of the case is spreading apart. Closed, I can press it back together, but when opened the corner pops open again with an unhealthy cracking sound. It seems to get worse every time it's opened. Note also, the hinge on that side (left) looks like it is sitting lower than the right when open.

I've read TONS of this complaint on the Internet. Is it true that these hinges are GLUED in place? Has this been officially recognized as a design flaw by HP yet? Has there been a warranty extension issued? This seems to be a very widespread problem. Thanks!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation