cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mandrito
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Envy Keyboard only works on login screen, not once booted up

HP Recommended

My HP envy keyboard stopped working. I restarted, and it seemed to be fixed, as I was able to use the keyboard to type in my login password. However, once I was logged in and back at the desktop, it again did not work. I've repeated the process a few times. Also, the keys made a beep when pressed even though nothing registers. How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,849
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click the entry 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' and select Uninstall.

Shut down the notebook.

Then unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

You may need to restart twice after this.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
mandrito
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. 

I wasn't able to do what you listed under control panel because I have Windows 8 and I did not find a listing for device manager or keyboard.

I did do the battery unplug and the bios set up. It went exactly as you described but upon loading up and two restarts I'm still not getting any input once I reach the desktop and I'm still getting the click/beep sound. 

I think it happened right after my 8-month old was banging around on the keyboard. At first I thought she might have hit some key combo that locks the board but I don't see anything on here that would do that. Then I thought perhaps she broke the connection somehow but since it works fine to type on the login screen and the bootup menus, that's obviously not the case.

Any Windows 8 specific things to try or another method?

I have a Halloween party tonight so no time now but I'll try calling HP support if I can't get it. 

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,849
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Open windows Control Panel again.

Near the top right, next to 'View by:', select Large icons from the dropdown menu.

You should now see an entry for Device Manager.

Expand Keyboards, right click the entry 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' and select Uninstall.

When done, restart the notebook.

Any change?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
mandrito
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey all. Sorry to bother but unfortunately it hasn't worked. 

I did what you mentioned about using the small icons and found keyboard. I uninstalled the driver, restarted, did the BIOS bootup you mentioned, restarted a few times but unfortunately it is giving the same results. I tried updating the keyboard driver as well. I plugged in an external keyboard and still nothing, I even get the same click/beep sound. 

Anything else for me to try? I'll try calling the HP Support number and see what they have for me. How should I describe this problem to them?

Thanks again for all the help. 

0 Kudos
cearajohn03
1 1 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what you need to do:

1.control panel

2.Ease of access

3.Ease of Access Center

4.Make the keyboard easier to use

The only thing that should be check marked is (Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK key for 5 seconds.)

That should resolve your issue.

KEbmeier
Level 1
3 3 0 2
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CearaJohn03, I sure hope you are still around as it is nearly 3 years since you posted your answer. I have spent the last 5 hours researching this assuming it was due to accidentally deleting (meant to upgrade - not delete!) AMD driver in the Control Panel. Your answer was right on! For me I had the TURN ON FILTER KEYS  checked which was INCORRECT. For others searching:

• Start --> Control Panel
  • All Control Panel Items
  • Ease of Access Center
  • Make the Keyboard Easier to Use
    • Only CHECK MARK should be with Turn on Toggle Keys by Holding Down the NUM LOCK key for 5 Seconds (not sure why this effects typing, but it does)

Everything else I tried was fruitless. Thank you so much CearaJohn03!!!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation