Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nmr50 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP OMNIBOOK 6000 2nd drive caddy

HP OMNIBOOK 6000
Other

Hello everyone!

I got this oldie HP OMNIBOOK 6000 from the friend of mine, yet I got 2.5 inch IDE notebook drive in addition.

Now I want to replace FDD in 6000's module bay with F2018B caddy  module 

(http://www.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/F2018B.htm) to insert that 2.5 inch HDD as 2nd drive.

Please tell me where I can get F2018B caddy itself (w/o HDD inside, of course) - and buy it ?

Only caddy is needed (IDE port inside, not SATA), again.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
35618 5302 9120
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

The same place you can get a rumble seat for a 1934 Model A Ford. HP would no longer have it. They have employees who were in kindergarten when that laptop was last viable. eBay is going to be your only salvation I think. Those expansion caddies were never made in great numbers and your chances of finding a working one at this point are not too good. I am a vintage laptop collector myself so have a fair amount of experience with trying to procure parts for much older machines. 

I just took a quick look on ebay and there are a few Onmibook 6000 parts, but not the one you are looking for. 

0 Kudos
nmr50 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Huffer: Thank you for your optimistic reply;), and now I want to pay  your attention to this:

The url of this product is here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=717&area=en

My question is - are those bay modules somewhat standard sized, have the same type, name, or what ?

I see that THIS module is not the same as used in Omnibook 6000, but I have seen such kind of modules on ebay, so I wonder - if _this_ is standard sized module, is there another standard for HP notebooks modules, i.e., modules made by others than HP companies _for_ HP notebooks ? Any chance ?

Thanks in advance!

-t

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
35618 5302 9120
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

There is no standard. The reference to the 1934 Model A rumble seat is apt. A rumble seat from a Chevrolet will not work. 

Things are slightly more standardized now, which has been the trend. In the early days of laptops even memory modules were "one-off" for each model. The SATA drive bays are now somewhat universal but that was not true in the PATA days. Every hard drive caddy and CD-ROM had a unique interface to the motherboard.  

There is a seller on ebay whose "handle" is omnibooks...seriously. He has been there for years. I have sold a few items to him over the years but never bought from him because he charges very high prices but he has a collection of the oddest old computer parts and if anyone would know where to find what you need it would be he. Just go search ebay for one of his auctions and contact him. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation