cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HalJordan2814
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Pavilion G4 -1215tx - Disabling Intel HD to use AMD 6470M

HP Recommended

Is there a way to disable Intel HD Graphics and use my AMD Radeon 6470M instead?
Because when I render 3D images in Maya, even if it's on "High Performance" in the Catalyst Control Center it still render as slow as using the Intel HD,  same goes for playing games, on every game that I've played, switching it from "Not Assigned" to "High Performance" still results to a laggy and slow performance, given that it's set on the lowest setting.

So far, there's nothing on the BIOS to disable the Intel HD, the AMD 6470M isn't recognised when I disable Intel HD in device manager, i've also set it on Maximum Perfomance when plugged or in battery mode, updated both BIOS and Drivers.

I'm literally facing a dead end on this matter, spent hours looking for ways to make my system use my 6470M instead of the Intel HD Graphics.  Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Shilfein28
Level 2
18 18 1 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Every Intel+Radeon on G series (g4,g5,g6...) have had this problem for years now.

There is no fix for it and never will, the dynamic switchable graphics will use the radeon only for certain games even if you set all of them as High Performance.

The only workaround I can think is to rollback your BIOS to the oldest one available and pray, if you are lucky it may be a version prior to the Dynamic Mode update (the old Fixed mode, that actually let you choose which card to use). Oldest BIOS for g5 and g6 are already in Dynamic Mode, but with a g4 it could work.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
anthony82
Level 9
2,800 2,766 181 740
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello HalJordan2814,

You’re having questions about your switchable graphics.

Here is a link to a document that will explain the switchable graphics on your computer.

Let me know how everything goes.

0 Kudos
HalJordan2814
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am quite aware of this already, like Shilfein28 said, even though I set it programs and games on High Performance, there is no change at all, same FPS, same render time, same lag.

And frankly most of the time when I check what VC is recognized, 90% of the time it's recognizing the Intel HD Graphics, even though I've set up everything right in the Catalyst Center.

I want a solution for making my AMD card the primary and only VC recognizable, I am aware of everything else. Thank you.
0 Kudos
HalJordan2814
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That might work, though I do not know how it will affect the wholeness of my laptop, it may screw some things up with a downgraded BIOS. I'll consider this but I need to think about it first.

Thanks for helping
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation