Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion g6 with an AMD A4-3300M APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics at 1.9 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I had no problem using an external monitor through the VGA port and I had no problem using an external monitor through the HDMI port with an HDMI to DVI adapter cable, but I have had a problem trying to run both AND the laptop screen. It will only let me use 2 at a time whether that be the laptop and VGA, laptop and HDMI, or HDMI and VGA. I currently have the VGA one set as primaryand was wondering if it's a hardware or an OS issue. Any thoughts?

Edit: My product number is "QE224UA#ABA" model is "g6-1c62us"

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello El_Vandragon,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are unable to connect two separate monitors to your notebook. I'll do my best to help! The configuration may not be supported, but you can determine this (and probably resolve the issue) by following these steps:

1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking on Start, then Control Panel. Under "Appearance and Personalization", click "Adjust screen resolution".

2. Click the drop-down list next to "Multiple displays", then "Extend these displays", and then click OK.

3. If the changes to not immediately take place, try restarting the computer.

Please try these steps. If that doesn't work, please make sure all Windows Updates are completed:

1. Open "Windows Update" in Control Panel.

2. Click "Settings", and then click "Install optional updates".

3. Next, click "Check for updates".

If updates are found, click "Install updates".

Another way to check if multiple monitors are supported is by looking for the number of monitor icons. If there aren't two of them, multiple monitors might not be supported. A workaround is to use a USB graphics adapter to connect your monitors.

Also, an HDMI splitter can be attempted. Simply connect an HDMI cable between the notebook and the front end of the splitter. Then, connect an HDMI cable from each monitor to the back end of the splitter.

Please let me know your results. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response, I was away for a few days and just got back. I tried the screen resolution but it wont let me do all three, it only switches which one is off. screen.png

As for the windows update the only ones are bing desktop, language packs and Windows SP 1 which it won't let me download. Would not having the Service Pack cause the issue?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. Have you tried "Duplicate desktop on 2 and 3"?

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Ok so I updated to Windows 7 SP1 finally. It will let me duplicate the displays 2 and 3 but it turns off 1 before doing that. When I try to extend the duplicates 2/3 it disconnects display 3. Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem and I dont know what to do.

HP Recommended

Hi @MOMBABA 

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a wonderful place to find answers and information!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I grasp you have a similar problem connecting an external monitor.  Here is a link to Connecting a Monitor, Projector or TV (Windows 7) that may assist you.

Have you tried all the suggestions in the previous posts?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant   to aid with HP updates?

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter?

If this has not helped please provide the results from your troubleshooting, your exact model of HP notebook and your Operating System.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Here is a link to How to Run Two External Monitors on an HP Laptop from smallbusiness.chron.com that may also help.

You may need to explore the option of an external video card if you require two or more additional monitors.

You may consider contacting HP support at any time for support. They can remotely access your system to help locate and resolve issues.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Good Luck !

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.