Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In Windows 8.0 , Single User name is created with Name : XXXXX, Password : YYYY 

To goto BIOS setup I pressed "Esc" button, F10

Then 

Yes/NO, I selected "Yes"

Main            security                Advanced

Advanced --> Boot Options
SecureBoot

All the BOOT Options are visible for the user to select " Legacy Boot" etc.

When I select

Yes/NO, I selected "NO"

Then It asks for Windows 8 LOGIN PASSWORD/Finger Print. Name : XXXX, Password : YYYY

After login password is entered.

Main       security          Advanced

Advanced --> Boot Options

All Boot options are disabled.

I unable to enable/disable " Secure Boot" option so that

Legacy Boot option can be enabled.

Why the BIOS is not allowing me to select desired boot option even though I logged in to Bios with password.

How to enable Legacy Boot option after using Login user Password of Windows 8.

Regards

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with Elitebook 840 G1 (model E3W26UT), I'm trying to enable legacy boot mode and find approximately 80% of the Bios options are disabled even when logging in as the Win8 user.

There is no update since November, were you able to get this resolved?

HP Recommended

There really is an explanation for this behavior.

By default (no BIOS users added) all options are availale and user(s) and administrator passwords are blank. Therefore, when you enter the BIOS py pressing F10, you have access to all features. When you add a user to the BIOS, either directly in the BIOS or through the ProtectTols security tools, you add a 'normal' user to the BIOS, not an administrator. The administrator account still has a blank password. That is why when you enter the BIOS as the user, it has restricted view of the settings available to modify. And when you enter the BIOS as a guest, you have administrator privileges as there is no admin password setup

That is why i ALWAYS encourage my customers to first set up a BIOS administrator password which then protects BIOS settings from all users. 

Hope this helps

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

i have probook 440G1

i forget the bios password

is there any method to reset my password?

HP Recommended

@KLEGOWO

Contact HP and they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.html

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

REO

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.