cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
15 8 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Simple Save backup not working with Windows 10

HP Recommended
HP Simple Save
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For multiple years I have used an HP external hard drive, with Simple Save software pre loaded, to back up my files. I have come to appreciate its clean and easy to use interface and the control it gives me over what does, and does not, get backed up. It has worked perfectly with Windows 7 & 8.1. However, the first time I tried to run my weekly back up session after upgrading to Windows 10, it didn't work at all. This has me concerned.

Does the Simple Save software work with Windows 10 at the current time? If not, is there a way to update its software so it will?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,909
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Sarahmarie,

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you have used your HP external drive with the Simple Save software and have used it for years and appreciate its clean easy  to use  interface.

Now that you have upgraded to Windows 10 it will not run your weekly backups.

Please review this thread on the issue by @Photoray002 SimpleSave not working with Windows 10 .

You can continue to use the external drive but will need alternative software for automatic backup to be done. 

You could use the Windows backup and restore or consider third party software.

Although you have not had any issues with the drive, due to its age I would suggest you run a diagnostics on it just to be on the safe side.

Check up Hard Disk Health natively in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 using WMIC

Please let me know the  outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
15 8 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree that checking the health of my backup hard drive is a good idea. However, which WMI command (or set of commands) do I use to direct it to check the health of the removeable external hard drive?

I do have one update to add to the other thread on this subject. I found my HP Simple Save backup software worked just as smoothly & efficiently with Windows 8.1 as it did with WIndows 7. When my Windows 7 laptop unexpectedly died in 2014, HP Simple Save transferred all backed up files ot my new Windows 8.1 laptop perfectly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,909
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Sarahmarie,

Thank you for the update.

As using the WMI command line is fairly complex you may wish to contact Microsoft for assistance with that process.

Microsoft Corporation  / Customer Support

1-800-642-7676

Microsoft Support Contact Us

You could also consider using third party software although HP would not support it.  

14 Free Hard Drive Testing Programs (from pcsupport.com).

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation