cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dystopias Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 15.6" application scaling issue

Spectre x360 15.6"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I just got my 4k spectre and noticed while installing some applications that they open very small windows which are barely readable.  the fullscreen button on the toolbar is greyed out like they are already there. I guess this is a scaling issue?  Steam, lastpass, scrivener - all are unusable as is.

anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it?  I can't use the computer if it wont run the programs i need!

thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Retired
Retired
3798 3736 201 433
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @dystopias,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand you are having an issue with some app load too small. I will be glad to help you.

HP has not control of how the app was designed. I would suggest lowering the resolution or contact the manufactures of the App.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :generic:

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
embeddex Top Student
Top Student
1 1 0 2
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think there is scaling problem with this laptop, and changing resolutions doesn't fix it.

I have HP Spectre x360 15.6" for last few days.  The 4k screen is great feature,  of course for some application resolution of the text is too small.  I understand that to work with this applications, one needs to change the resolution of the screen.

I am electronic/hardware/software designer and I have pretty good amount of such applications in my toolbox.

I did change the resolution to 800x600 and than to 1600x920. I also played with resolutions 1366x768 and 1280x720. What I noticed is that only few applications follow the resolutions (mostly basic apps). Most of the applications that I have behave like they are not recognizing the new resolution from the start. The startup screens and application window stay small like in 4k mode.

It looks like the app doesn't know that resolution was changed and going to default.

It anoying and probably I need a very strong glasses.

Provost Provost
Provost
16260 16203 1510 3599
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dystopias

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what is happening to you with some apps is why I make a point of staying away from the "bleeding" edge of hardware, at least, until the driver writers finally get their stuff together!

My guess is that, since 4K is essentially 4 times 1080p resolution, what the application is seeing is not one large 4K display, but the smaller 1080p display, and as a result, it's size on the display is actually 1/4 of what you would expect!

So, until application vendors catch us with 4K resolution screens, this going to continue to be a problem.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Osama26 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hope you can solve this issue soon.

I have a question about your Spectre x360 - 15t USBC port, is there any issue/limitation you found while using it? I heard it has some limitation regarding its full capabilities. 

Waiting for your reply. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jfinite Tutor
Tutor
1 1 0 5
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, that's really disappointing! Wish I had known about that issue before I dropped over $1200 on this laptop! I'm experiencing the same issue with some plugins for Photoshop and other apps. Hope this gets some attention and is resolved.

DTechG Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, Just bought 15-ap007na model, only to notice this issue. such a shame as HP promoting this laptop as a premium product. 

Dward_Farquard Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 1
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This issue is still unresolved. HP Phone Support is completely in the dark on this problem.

manfredRo Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 3
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's unbelievable: if you try to raise this issue with the support they offer the paying support option and they say you're having problem with non-HP application.... Sure: everyone buys HP PC to run only HP stuff!

You shoudl have mentioned this when you advertised your products, it's a shame to HP!

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18654 18600 1536 2584
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@manfredRo

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, 

I understand your concern and to help you out, 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation