cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP says no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

HP Recommended
Compaq CQ40
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

[personal information removed] (Hi...Can you help me? my hp says no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key...I try press ESC and click F2(System Diagnostics)...After I click Hard Disc Test...My hp  says Hard Disk Not Exist...What should I do to solve this problem? I hope You can help me..)

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,714 38,171 3,354 14,105
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced.  A retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba,etc.

Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 350GB hdd you could use a 500GB hdd. The biggest problem is that most new hdd's are now AF (advanced format) and Vista Recovery Discs will normally fail on AF drives. If you can find a non-AF drive you should be ok.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
122 122 10 22
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there Jeff26 🙂

Did you have your data from the laptop backed up anywhere? Do you need the data from the failed drive?

As CherylG perfectly explained, in order to use your recovery disks you would need a drive with equal or larger capacity.
I would suggest checking the lower capacity models of WD Blue as a potential replacement if the drive has indeed failed.

If you don't feel comfortable fixing your own laptop I would suggest taking it to a technician.
Another thing I would suggest is checking your warranty policy if the laptop is still under warranty and if swapping the storage drive on your own voids it or not.

If you do feel comfortable, you can try connecting your laptop drive to an already working computer (externally or internally) as a secondary drive and see if the system recognizes it in the BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management. If it does appear, there may be a small chance to recover the data from that drive.

What's the brand and model of the problematic drive?

Captain_WD.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation