cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KlebersonofGun
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hard disk 1 full (305) error with dv6-6119tx- is it worthwhile to replace HDD?

Hello!

I purchased HP Pavillion dv6-6119tx entertainment notebook (QB365PA) in July 2011. Specifications are -Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M, RAM DDR 3 4GB, Inbuilt HDD: 640 GB (Toshiba) OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Ever since I bought this machine it has been giving me problems at now and then. First webcam died inside first 2 months, then DVD writer failed next it was keypad and finger print sensor. There were multiple problems with microsoft update installation. Six months ago I replaced 6 cell battery. I bought an expensive maintenance contract for the second year considering the number of prblems I encountered inside the first year of use. Apart from the battery which was ofcourse not covered under the contract, I had no other problems in 2nd year. And, just as this contract expired in August this year I began facing problems, I had BSOD on couple of occasions. After each incident system booted normally and everything was fine except device manager showing problems with consumer IR devices. The problem seemed to have gone off on its own. Then since last couple of months my computer started freezing up while booting and for initial 5-10 mins. after boot up. In this duration I repeatedly checked  HDD health using InsydeH2O BIOS utility on multiple occasions. The time required for diagnostics seemed to be progressively increasing wtih each subsequent scan but it always passed diagnostics. But today when it returned "Hard disk 1 full (305)" message and yet I'm able to boot up albeit with initial freezy start. Today, system froze in middle of something twice and I'd to do hard shut down. When I ran Avast! it froze at 99% on detailed scan. It got struck on file from syswow64 folder and showed one infected file.  I ran windows HD error-check and it showed no errors.

My questions here are -

1. what seems to be the problem? is it a failing HDD or an infection?

2. Is it worthwhile to replace HDD if the problems are result of HDD problems? 

3. I had backed my sytem on external HDD, can I install Windows 7 on new HD, if I get one?

4. System back up file is only 274 MB in size, is this right?

5. If I buy new hard disk does it have to be the same specification and manufacturer as the current one or I can upgrade it? If I can upgrade it what are the recommended replacements?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 17
Level 17
41,581 41,366 6,544 11,393
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Run the hard drive self-test inside the BIOS (F10 as you power up). Yes, generally a hard drive replacement is cost efficient but let's be sure that is the problem.

0 Kudos
KlebersonofGun
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Sorry for delayed response and thank you for replying.

As I mentioned in my first post I got 305 error on InsydeH2O BIOS utility disk check. Problem is that the error is not consistent, I've checked it 3 times in past few days and got error message only once and last check was clean although the time taken for the scan is considerably increased compared to previous scans when I didn't have any problems.
Problem while booting (freezing) is still persistent but system eventually boots and runs smoothly after 5-6 minutes freeze.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi KlebersonofGun:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Have you run a virus checker to ensure it is virus free?

I would suggest testing the hard drive for errors, here is a link to a document on "Testing a Hard Disk form the Bios:click here

Here is a link to "Installing or Replacing a Hard Drive"click here.

If you require further assistance please reply back.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
KlebersonofGun
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Sparkles1

Thank you for your reply.

As I had mentioned earlier I did get error ( Disk 1 full (305)) on testing HD from BIOS. I guess even though my laptop is working at the moment albeit with some boot-up difficulty it is eventually going to conk-off. Is that right?

Thank you for the link provided for 'how to replace HDD' but it is for desktops.I would like to know where to find compatible HDD upgrades and how to install them in my laptop. Do I have buy it from HP or can I get it somewhere else? Also,I've made a system recovery disk using windows utility but the disk I made measures only 270 MB, is that right right?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi KlebersonofGun:

You can purchase hard drive from any one. as long as they match your computer.

I am sending a link to "Hard Drive Failure Errors: Imminent Failure, Smart, BIOHD, HD535," click here.

There is a section of replacing the hard drive as I believe that is what needs to be done.

You can purchase hard drive many places. Stores that sell computers may stock them. You can search online for hard drives. You could check the hp parts store at this link click here .

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

KlebersonofGun
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the reply.

I followed the instructions provided in the first link above and ran disk check through HP support assistant and the SMART status returned 'Good'. Now I'm even more confused. Although I am more inclined to believe the result of InsydeH20 scan which I ran through F10 at the time of booting. This is where I found 305 error.  I tried doing all that I could do to pin down the error. I tried 3 different AV and malware detection programmes, updated drivers twice, ran microsoft updates, ran maintenance task with HP support assistance and windows utilities. Only place where I could find error was in hard disk check with InsydeH20 BIOS check.

HP part store unfortunately is not available for my country and I does not mention possible upgrades or alternative options.  My machine came with Toshiba MK6465GSX HDD (2.5', 640GB,  SATA2, 5400 RPM). I was thinking if I'm going to pay for a new HDD, why not get a an upgrade. Problem is that I don't know how for I can go with the specification.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi KlebersonofGun:

Thank yo for your response.  I am sending you a link to the "Maintenance and Service Guide" for your computer  click here. Page 62 has a section on hard drive replacement 

You can use any brand of hard drive as long as it matches specs.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

Highlighted
KlebersonofGun
6 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you, it was helpful. :generic:

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HI KlebersonofGun:

If the computer still has warranty please contact HP support at 1 800 474 6836  and they will assist you in getting a repair setup.

If it is out of warranty, and you do not need to upgrade the computer itself, then yes it is worth replacing the HDD.

i am including some documentation on "Identifying, Preventing, Diagnosing and
Recovering from Drive Failures"click here.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation