cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Brenton1
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How do I get back windows 8.1 with bing

HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My HP Stream 11 crashed, it used windows 8.1 with bing so I as looking all over the web to find it but I couldnt so I had to use the normal windows 8.1 iso that was available on Microsoft which didnt work with my product key that I had because it only works with windos 8.1 with bing so im stuck with using a generic key for the normal version of windows (key that alows you to boot windows but not all settings are available)  and I want to upgrade to windows 10 but the only way I can upgrade is if I activate windows which my product key does not work with the normal version of windows 8.1 and only with the version with bing which from what I hear is only available to manufacturers PLEASE HELP.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,699 32,599 2,966 7,281
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brenton1

The ONLY way to get back what you had preinstalled on the PC is through Recovery Media.

This is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks.  You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update".  If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Service:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!
---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.
---------------------------------------

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
jdigger
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I have a HP 255 G3 with W8.1 Bing edition and I need the reinstall media (the built in recovery does not function). The "Contact HP" link provided above is of no use (in the UK). Unless you are a business, or have a contract the only support offered is the forums. I have also tried HP partners Best2Serve for a recovery media kit, but my notebook part number is not recognised by their system. It just over 12  months old so this must be available surely.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation