Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
27 16 0 2
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

How do I know which drivers I need after reinstalling Windows 7 on my laptop?

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a Pavilion G7-1365DX that I just reinstalled Windows 7 with. The icons are very large, and the internet doesn't work. Those are the only two things that I noticed right off the top. I know I need to install the drivers, but when I searched all the drivers on the HP website, I wasn't sure which exact ones I needed after installing the OS again. 

Which drivers are typically needed after installing Windows 7? 

Also, am I supposed to download from another computer and put it on a USB, so I can install it from the USB on my laptop without working internet? 

Lastly, do required drivers differ widely from model to model of HP laptops when installing a new OS? 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
119,870 110,050 17,531 26,815
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need these drivers for your PC and yes, you can download them from another PC, copy them to a usb flash drive and install them from that...

Install these drivers in the order I posted them and restart the PC after you install the 1st two.

Graphics:

This package provides the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver and Catalyst Control Center for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. For notebooks with switchable graphics modes, this package includes drivers for both graphics processing units (GPUs). Switchable graphics enable users to switch between a power-saving graphics mode (normally used under battery power) and a high-performance graphics mode. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55081.exe

Audio:

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe

Ethernet:

This package provides the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver that enables the Realtek Network Interface Card (NIC) Chip in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55083.exe

Wireless:

This package contains the driver installation package for the Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55342.exe

Card reader:

This package contains the driver that enables the Realtek Card Reader in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The card reader enables users to read from or write to supported removable storage cards, which are typically used in digital cameras, digital music players, and cellular phones.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55085.exe

Touchpad:

This package provides the driver that enables the Synaptics TouchPad in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The driver enables general touchpad functionality (for example double-tap and scroll) and provides a user interface.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54001-54500/sp54040.exe

Webcam:

This package contains the CyberLink YouCam Software for the supported notebook models and operating systems. CyberLink YouCam is a webcam application that enables users to capture images and video from a web camera and apply visual effects to captured images and video.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58600.exe

Quick Launch Software:

This package contains the HP Quick Launch Software, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed. For example, the HP Quick Launch Software enables users to press the Fn+ESC keys to view system information. This software works with the supported operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56929.exe

Highlighted
Level 4
104 100 7 10
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings KeefKay ,

Welcome to the HP support forums! 

First off, thank you for providing the name of the device , Could you confirm what version of Windows 7 you have installed (32 or 64bit) ? If you are not sure about this then let me know and I will walk you through it.

As for the drivers , since you do not currently have access to the internet from this laptop I would advise using a usb to transfer drivers.

As for the drivers , to make life easier I would advise that we check which divers you need. Click on "start" then type "device manager" then under "network adapters" if you could confirm what you see? e.g. is there a warning triangle ?

You can download drivers from here , If you would like a list of drivers I would happily attempt to help.

Look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

Shineyhawkz

IT Technician

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
27 16 0 2
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After checking my device manager, I am only seeing 4 yellow exclamation marks for the following:

1. Ethernet Controller

2. Network Controller

3. PCI Device

4. SM Bus Controller

They are all under the "Other Devices" category in my Device Manager page. 

For the display, I actually just readjusted the resolution and everything looks good. Will I still need to install every single driver that you sent me? After all, I DID do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. 

Can there be any issues if I install drivers that I already may have? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
27 16 0 2
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After checking my device manager, I am only seeing 4 yellow exclamation marks for the following:

1. Ethernet Controller

2. Network Controller

3. PCI Device

4. SM Bus Controller

They are all under the "Other Devices" category in my Device Manager page.  I installed Windows 7 (32-bit). 

The HP site to download drivers only gives me the option to select Windows 8 (64-bit) and Windows 7 (64-bit). Does this mean I installed the wrong version of Windows 7 and should install the 64-bit version? Is there a difference in terms of the drivers? I noticed in the past that when I did a clean install of Windows 8 on another laptop, all the drivers were already installed and no addition work was needed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The 64 bit drivers should have the 32 bit driver files, so use the ones I posted for you above.

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver for the ethernet controller.

Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN Controller for the network controller.

Realtek Card Reader for the PCI device.

The smbus controller...HP does not include the driver for that device on the support page, so I have zipped it up and attached it below.

You have to manually install the driver as follows...Download and unzip the file to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager, and click on the smbus controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
27 16 0 2
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you, that was very thorough and and helpful! All the drivers worked except for the Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN Controller. Network controller still has the exclamation mark. When I first completed installing it, I was requested to try to reinstall with "Recommended Settings." Tried to do the reinstall and still didn't fix the driver issue. Could it be a different driver I need? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is possible that you need a different driver for the wireless card.

The parts list for your notebook indicated it came with that model card which is why I posted that specific driver.

So...please post the hardware ID for the Network Controller and I will figure out what model it is and post the link to the driver you need.

To find the hardware ID, click on the Network Controller device in the device manager.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the Network Controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list, and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
27 16 0 2
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ah got it. Here is what it says:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1785103C&REV_01

Does that sound right? Haha. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, very good.

HP did indeed put a different (but equivalent) model wlan card in your notebook than what the parts list indicated.

You need this driver for that model wireless card...

This package contains the drivers for the supported Atheros Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation