cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
19 14 0 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

How to disable volume OSD

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am looking for a way to disable the on-screen volume controls that appear when using volume buttons above the keyboard. In my opinion this does not work too well (for example, OSD reaction is delayed), furthermore it causes problems with some full-screen programs.

I tried installing Quick Launch Buttons software, but it does not work (I still cannot find any configuration utilities anywhere). I would be grateful for a suggestion where to look or what could be wrong.

My computer: HP HDX 1180EW, Vista 64-bit.

regards,

-- 

Jerzy

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 9
2,817 2,815 115 662
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To eliminate OSD volume controls, you need to uninstall HP QuickTauch software not Quick Launch Buttons (QLB).

I prefer 3RVX, QuickTouch equivalent, (download 3RVX_2.5.msi) a freeware from Matthew Malensek

A lot more superior compare to QuickTouch sofware.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
19 14 0 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK - I will try that. Thank you for the suggestion.

-- 

Jerzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
19 14 0 2
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, 3RVX software seems nice and useful. But one problem remains - I was unable to find any "Quick Touch" software to be uninstalled. So now I have two independent volume OSDs 😕

I do not see "Quick Touch" in Start menu or in the installed programs list. Do you have any specific information on how to find and unistall it?

thanks,

-- 

Jerzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Having same issue.  Can't find any "HP QuickTouch" to remove in order to disable this OSD volume control that not only steals focus from windows (even though it attempts to return focus to that) but gets out of full screen applications.  Who designed this junk??
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I would like to know the same thing.  I've got a Pavillion dv8t and the volume buttons just exits full screen on just about every application and game.  No Quick Touch application found anywhere in the program uninstall list.  Does HP staff ever post in their own forums?!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
2,817 2,815 115 662
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure, it should available in add/remove programs in control panel, try searching for HP QuickTouch or QTouch or something like it.

Sorry I can not help you more since all of my notebooks are not using Vista anymore.

Good luck.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
66 54 3 2
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know how to do it too

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Terminate the process smartmenu.exe (can be rerun from C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart\SmartMenu.exe).

The process also controls the HP media shortcut panel, and possibly something else that you wont be missing :Wink:

You can now change volume without losing focus, but still at a slight delay (seconds) and skitting sound.

Autostart can be disabled with: Windows-button + R -> msconfig.exe ->  Start tab -> unmark HP MediaSmart SmartMenu

Hope it works for you :generic:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
65 62 0 9
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To the original question, my system (dv9700, Vista 64-bit) had this problem and it was resolved by downloading HP QuickTouch Software from the Drivers and Support section on the HP website for my system.  For my system, the filename was sp38358.exe (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-62436-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...).

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation