cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sunshynejj
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Hp SimplePass fingerprint window logon issues

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1.

I have done everything that the forum has told me to do to try to resolve my fingerprint logon issue and nothing is working!!!! My final resort was to delete both the driver and the software.  Reboot.  Use HP Recovery to install the original Validity Sensor driver, reboot and then the original HP SimplePass 2011 software, then reboot.

Now the option to logon using my fingerprint is gone even though the the sensor lights up at the windows main page logon.  I had no problem from the time I purchased my computer February 2012 with using my fingerprint to logon to Windows until November 2012.  

I've tried downloading the newer programs, the newer drivers and would recieve the errors that my fingerprints are not enrolled or the fingerprint is not authenticated.  

This is very frustrating.  My reason for getting this computer was for the security of logging on using the fingerprint reader.  Now for it not to work is unacceptable.

What other options do I have to resolve this matter?  Please do not recommend the forum anymore because I have tried everything suggested for the past 5 days.  

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,961 42,200 4,644 12,411
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have done a search for fingerprint sensors and tried all of the solutions that worked for others and have had no success?

Have you used HP Expert member Daniel_Potyrala's  Guide to the Notebook Fingerprint Sensor - HP SimplePass version 6

Which fingerprint sensor is installed?

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Sunshynejj
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I did try it and just to go along with your professional recommendation, I went ahead and did it again.

When I opened simplepass, it did not prompt me for a finger to enroll.  It already had my fingerprint which I don't understand considering I uninstalled the validity driver.  Also the box remains unchecked for windows logon.  And it tells me when I try to setup windows log on that my password does not match.

Willing to try something else, thanks

The sensor I have is 

Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0018)

Driver version: 4.4.234.0

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,961 42,200 4,644 12,411
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Read the guide that Daniel_Potyrala so graciously provided.

Your description of the current situation and my  own experience with HP SimplePass with my previous HP dv7 loaner leads me to suspect you did not complete the setup Windows logon section correctly. You cannot skip a single step and expect it to work.

Did you see the following images as you went through the process from start to finish?

simple1.jpg

simple2.jpg

simple3.jpg

simple4.jpg

Have you enrolled at least two fingers in HP SimplePass?

Have you gone into the personal settings tab by opening the HP Simplepass with a right-click on the icon in the systray or via All Proprograms -->HP --> HP Simplepass?  If you have not gone there and enabled it then Windows logon won't offer HP SimplePass useage as a logon option.

-erico 

-erico

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Sunshynejj
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I went over the process once more and I have one part that shows up differently then the instructions given in the guide.

During the installation process (Part D), after installing the driver, and using 7-zip to install the software, I come across this screen

install pic1.jpg

So I've stopped at this point and waiting for your instructions.  

Also, before starting any of this I erased my fingerprints by turning off Biometrics, restarting my laptop, turning it back on, and then restarting my laptop.

0 Kudos
Sunshynejj
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I didn't hear back from you but I went ahead and agreed to install TruApi (x64), then changed the installation folder from 

ProgramFiles86\HP SimplePass\ to be located to the same place as the guide.  

I went through the same process, it asked for my fingerprint and stored it in two swipes. Then went to the Window log on question.  and the following images is what I get.

install pic2.jpg

So can someone please help me cuz I'm stuck in the same cycle.  Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
PSU_HBG_GRAD
Level 1
10 8 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm getting the same issue. HP dosn't seem to have a clue. Their responce is delete Simplepass, the validity sensor driver, reinstall both and it should be fixed... I have my new laptop for 3 days before this stopped worked (following a Windows Update and a HP Update).I even tried using a restore point and that didn't work.

Sunshynejj
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Mine still doesn't work. I did what they said about 10 times. Plus the updated version is slower than the original one that came with the computer. HP at this point need to issue a disclaimer with the fingerprint security systems telling customers it doesn't work before they buy the laptops
0 Kudos
PSU_HBG_GRAD
Level 1
10 8 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was on the phone with their Smart Support last night and he reviewed the notes from my prior calls... I was told at this point there is NOTHING HP can do software or hardware wise short of replacing the motherboard/fingerprint reader and doing a factory reset. Mind you that the fingerprint reader and software work for the websites (i just used it to login here). It may be a driver or SOMETHING with the registry or Windows 7 security files. I'm not a windows expert when it comes to that stuff but when the passwords aren't aligning,that would make sense to me.

Food for thought - this issue comes up from time to time and I was bascially told last night that even if they get it fixed, its probably going to act up again in the future and there is no guarantee the 1st fix will work... since the fix they used last time dosn't work for the 2012 models around the March to May timeframe.

I did request a tier 2 ticket be opened and referred to their software engineers but given the structure and quality of the call centers in India, I HIGHLY DOUBT that ever happened. 20 years later and PC companies are still clueless... they still don't understand what they sell and their go to solution is ALWaYS a format. been that way since the early 90s when I was up till the early hours of the morning with packard bell..... and here we are today with the same response. (and on an unrelated note I have an android tablet whose bluetooth keyboard dosnt work... their reponse suprise surprise - system restore!) Can't Win!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation