cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BrotherLew
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

I need help to remove browser hijacker search.start now

HP Recommended

Can anyone please help me to remove search.start now?  I have looked for advice on how to do this, but the instructions don't work (Human error is a possibility).   Do I need a malware delete program? If so, which do you recommend?  If I ramdomly select one I'm afraid I'll get more malware. These are a lot of questions.  Perhaps you can sense my frustration.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,358 119,535 19,525 29,848
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would try the system restore utility and select a restore point to a time prior to when you got the malware.

If you are unfamiliar with this tool, below is a link from Microsoft on how to use it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Then run your antivirus program (full scan) to see if it picks up anything else.

0 Kudos
Gillian_Freebor
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Search.StartNow.com is classified as a browser hijacker which usually promoted via free downloads.

It can corrupt all the most common used browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Once installed you may find that your browser home page and default search engine are changed to Search.StartNow.com without your consent and knowledge.

Actually, one of the biggest features of this browser hijacker is to alter a user's web browser settings automatically.

To remove Search.StartNow.com completely, try the steps below:

1. Uninstall any suspicious program from Windows Control Panel.
  2. Remove unfamiliar or strange browser add-ons.
  3. Reset the browser homepage and search engine.
  4. Repair the browser shortcut (mentioned in the manual guide in this article)
  5. Restore the browser settings to defaults if necessary.
  6. Run free antivirus programs like Malwarebytes to scan and delete all its related traces.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation