cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Chariblaze
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Is there a way to reinstall Windows without all of HP's preinstalled software?

I have a HP Pavilion dv6-1334us notebook, installed with Windows 7 64-bit. I'm very familiar with the recovery process, DVDs and all, but I've recently read this article on Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5832896/download-windows7-isos-to-reinstall-without-restoring-your-system

The opportunity to install a fresh, clean, legitimate copy of Windows 7 with my current product key seemed like a good one. No more would I have the modifications made by HP, Norton, Office 2007, Wildtanget Games and all. Upon installing this, I was prompted to cough up a product key. I tried the one on the bottom of my notebook, which is a little worn and hard to identify, but I didn't seem to have any luck. I reinstalled HP's build with my recovery disks, and used Speccy (a program by Piriform, the same developer who makes Ccleaner) to find out the product key hidden in my registry. I took that key, and tried it in the installation process. It seemed to have gone through, without a hitch. However, after checking my Windows activation status, it turned out that the key was rejected, apparently marked as invalid for this type of activation (I've forgotten the specific wording, but it's easily retrievable if needed). So now I write here, asking if anyone else has tried this on a Pavilion, and if so, with success, and if that, how. Is there some sort of other hidden key I'm missing?

I know the whole OEM situation makes it shady in the first place, but I'd like to know if I'm trying for a cause without the possibility of success. I also found out that HP Support Assistant has something about a product key, and so I ask if that could possibly be different as well.

Thanks in advance,

Clayton M.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,897 16,697
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You should have no problem doing this as long as you observe the following.

1.  Use a retail ( or a DVD created from a downloaded ISO ) that is the exact same version as the original OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the retail ( or your own created disc ) you must use.

2.  You must use the Activation Key found on the COA sticker on the base of your notebook.

3.  You generally ( well everytime I've done this ) need to use the 'Phone Method' to activate the OS after the installation has completed - see a guide on this Here.

This is a perfectly legitimate process and is supported by Microsoft for Windows 7 - see Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Chariblaze
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ah, well, thanks for the definitive ways to do things. Like I said, my COA is just slightly worn-enough to the point where there can't be definitive answers for the product key. I've called HP about a new one, and they've claim that recovery disks are the only way, even though Microsoft says to call HP about a replacement COA. Ah, well. Thanks again. I've been doing some research, and so I'll probably try this method next: http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

0 Kudos
CitizenK
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This is what I do when I have re-installed Windows(all versions).  Call into the phone registration. Put in the product key which shows up on the activation window (key it in or say it outloud when prompted). They will then ask how many computers have you installed it on. Tell them 'zero'. This will usually get your activation approved.  I can't answer about the other alternatives, except maybe to re-enter the registration # on you laptop - also look at your box the pc came in.  If that doesn't work, then contact HP. You may have to buy the recovery disks. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation