cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
eschaton451
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 34
Flag Post

Keyboard light not working

HP Recommended
Has anyone run into issues with the built in keyboard/desktop light on their Touchsmart? Mine worked fine for the first few days, now won't come on.  I can't find any reference to it on the support site, whether the bulb can be replaced, whether it can be enabled somewhere in the hardware, etc?
0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33
Bill_Hicks
Level 6
343 343 21 42
Message 2 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the keyboard still working and just the light is out?

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
0 Kudos
JimT
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 3 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i think the light from the desktop is out, the switch to turn it on/brighter/off is on the left side of the monitor, the light shines down onto the desk... the light bolb sits between the speakers and the monitor - not anything to do with the keyboard really.

i'd be interested to know too if this light can be replaced if for some reason it is not working...

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
eschaton451
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Sorry, I should have been clearer.  Yes, this is the under-chassis light that shines onto the keyboard, activated from the dimmer keys on the left side of the main PC housing/screen.  It worked fine for the first week, but now is out, there is no response to hitting the dimmer keys.  The bulb runs horizontally across the bottom of the screen, under a plastic lip below the monitor, but I can't see how to open/access/ the bulb compartment to remove the bulb.  I can't even find any mention of the bulb in the Touchsmart documentation or on the HP support website.  Web searches tend to turn up a reference to an 'Ambient Light' feature on some of the touchsmart models, may be the same thing (since the light is intended to shine downwards and bounce back up), but no help on how to fix or replace.
0 Kudos
thehatguy
Level 3
41 34 0 4
Message 5 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you try the switch to turn it on/brighter/off? It is on the left side of the PC towards the bottom.

John

0 Kudos
nears
6 4 0 0
Message 6 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you found a solution? I got the same problem.

Thanks for answering.

0 Kudos
paulwayne317
Level 2
37 29 0 0
Message 7 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After many HP and Windows software updates over the past few weeks my keyboard lights do not illuminate after pressing them. When I press my "caps lock" key, it does not light up. Does anyone have this same problem and a fix.

Thank You,

paulwayne317

0 Kudos
energystar
Level 3
29 24 2 0
Message 8 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my pc is an IQ816 running Vista and I suspect our programs may be some what similar..one problem may be this...go to programs and then to HP and in HP you may see HP Ambient light..when you open this you can drag your mouse and move it around on the colours to get the light colour you want your light to display...the reason I'm telling you this is that it may just be that some how your not seeing the light because it is not set to a bright enough colour...I have mine at a whitish-blue and sometimes it changes and I then go to where I mention here and reset the light....I also have ambient light in my control panel...my on/off button also controls the brightness...again my pc is a different model so all this mey not be of any value to you...one other thing I have found with the TSmart is some times getting driver updates screws other things up and so when there are driver updates and everything is working for me ok I don't accept the updates especially for my NVIDIA video card because in the past those updates have screwed with other settings like adjusting my display brightness.

0 Kudos
paulwayne317
Level 2
37 29 0 0
Message 9 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank  you for the reply, however, when I open programs and click on HP, there are no links for the ambient light controls. Is there a function key I can press to turn on ad off the keyboard lights?

Thanks, Paul

0 Kudos
energystar
Level 3
29 24 2 0
Message 10 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

did you check in your control panel?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation