Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an odd repair here. If I start the laptop with the lid open (90 degree angle). The display will not work. Computer turns on, external monitor works, everything operates normal. Even if I close the lid I can see the computer go to sleep, open the lid it comes backs on (except for the display) display remains blank.

Here's the odd part.

If I have the lid at about 45 degree angle, partially open, and turn the laptop on. Viola, screen comes on, I can then open the lid all the way and the computer boots up normal. I can even shut the lid, open it back up. It operates fine. The ONLY problem I'm having is... when I start the computer, the lid has to be partially closed for the first few seconds.

I am suspecting the reed switch is malfunctioning, but I don't see how? Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to forum.

First thing we need to know is the model of your laptop?

Next do you see a light image on the LCD when it does not display?

I use a flashlight "UK torch" and shine it at a 45 degree angle to see if there is an image or not.

Let us know what you find.

HP Recommended

Hm, forgot to mention that. It's a HP Pavilion DV5. The backlight is completely off, no LCD image either. Display is just completely off. If I do the other trick of starting it halfway open, everything works perfectly after that. Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

So? How do you fix that problem? I have the same issue, the backlight works fine when the lid is open at 45 degrees, but shuts off when I open it all the way. Same Pavillion dv5.

HP Recommended

I too am having the same problem.   Anyone have a fix yet?  Is this a bad cable or backlight?

HP Recommended

I have a pavillion D\dv7-3165dx and just started having this problem last night. As I sit here crouched with my screen at an acute angle, did anyone ever get an answer ro this problem???

HP Recommended

I found out what the problem was. The hinge on the left side when opening and closing pinches the video cable and after a while it will end up cutting one of the wires inside. I took the whole thing apart and removed the electrical tape around the video cable as it makes it s way around that hinge and there it was, a cut cable, which I soldered together and taped again with reinforcement and that did it, no more problems. You can also buy the whole cable on ebay, I didn't want to wait so I rigged it myself.

HP Recommended

does anyone have a solution to this?

I have the EXACT same problem as the original poster. If I turn on the laptop with the lid open I get a black screen. If i turn on the laptop with the lid open halfway or less I can get an image. Once I get a visual I can then open the lid open the full way and everything is perfectly fine. The lid has to be halfway or less in the opening few seconds after pressing power for some reason. It works perfectly with an external monitor and the inverter was checked and is fine.

The last poster with a solution had a similar problems except he could only open the lid halfway at all times meaning when he pushed the lid up, the wires came lose and he wasn't getting a connection and thus has to solder it together.

How does this problem work? Where the lid only needs to be closed for the first few seconds in order to get a picture?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.