cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bazz747
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Loss of sound after updating IDT High Definition Audio Codec.

HP Support Assistant said a new IDT HI Def Codec driver was available so I downloaded and installed 6.10.6417.0 after which I have no sound output. I am not sure what driver version was installed before the update but I have since downloaded and installed 6.10.6330.0 and rebooted but still have no sounds. The device is enabled and Windows says it is working properly (which it isn't but then it is Windoz).

I am now totally at a loss as to how to proceed other than a clean install of Windows which for obvious reasons I would rather not do.

System details:

HP Envy 14-2002ea Beats Edition runing Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,894 16,629
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53001-53500/sp53281.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shut down the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Level 7 Futureperfect
Level 7
378 377 44 172
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello,

I understand your issue and the best way to resolve is to run  a system restore to before you installed that update.

What I did to resolve was go to device manager and uninstall the IDT driver checking to “Delete the driver software for the device” After then go to Recover Manager, install the IDT driver, then restart.

The last step will be to load HPSA and if the update pops up again put it on ignore.

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Bazz747
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi DavidPK,

I followed through your instructions apart from installing the new driver. Windows loaded the IDT driver automatically and I have driver version 6.10.6417.0 installed. My sound has returned and Netflix, which would not play at all after I updated the IDT driver when I caused the problem is now playng again with sound. I am reluctant to follow your last step and install the SP53281 driver incase it screws up again? Which driver version does that install BTW?

0 Kudos
Bazz747
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Futureperfect, I have System Restore turned off, I have a 512GB SSD and feel from what I have read that it is better to disable it. So rightly or wrongly I could not follow the instructions you kindly provided but I have got the sound working again by following DavidPK instructions. Thanks.

0 Kudos
daguil18
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This worked perfectly for me!

Thanks DAVIDPK!

0 Kudos
Level 18
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Bazz,

The IDT driver I suggested reinstalling is 6.10.6330.0, which is the latest one listed for Windows 7.  The version you currently have is listed as the option for Windows 8, however if everything is working OK, I can see absolutely no reason to install an earlier version.

The only thing I would suggest checking is that you still have 'Beats Audio' available as this interface is installed by the IDT Audio package - if Beats is still available and able to be configured, then there's nothing further required :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Bazz747
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi David,

Yes I still have Beats Audio and can open and use the controls, the only thing missing is I have lost the on screen level indicator when adjusting the volume up or down with the keyboard? do you think the ealier driver will overcome this and enable the volume guide?

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Kudos
Level 18
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Barry,

I think you just need to reinstall the HP OSD utility on the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55152.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Bazz747
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi David, thank you,  reinstalled SP55152 and now have the volume controls back. Thank you for sorting out my problems, you have been most helpful.

Barry.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation