Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FredKasner Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

I note an master boot record error 3 warning display on boot up. No problems seem to ensue even though the error is always displayed on boot up. I wonder if this has anything to do with my having installed Acronis True Image 9 with its ability to establish an ability to run a program test region that can permit the program to be deleted without to permanently install the the program on the HD. After the undesired program is removed the condition of the HD is purported to return to the condition it was in (also any registry changes I presume) prior to the installation of the undesired program (should protect from suspicious programs. Running 64 bit Vista Home Premium.

FK

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Dean
Dean
12391 12217 582 1540
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

Most likely it is Acronis 9, it is not compatible with Vista, that is old software for XP.

0 Kudos
fkasner Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

Nice try, but I was at that level of knowledge previously as you will see if you review my original post. Acronis True Image Home 2009 works in a satisfactory manner with my copy of Vista 64 Home Premium. I like the backup character of that program and have had only two occasions to use the test a program property and could have just as well created a restore point and used that to clear out the tested programs. Thanks anyway for your ineffectual effort.

FK

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
12391 12217 582 1540
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

So the problem started after you installed A9, hmmmmm.

Hp uses proprietary Master Boot Records, I am willing to bet A9 install broke it, it would explain the Partition Boot Record error.(which is part of the MBR) 

But it sounds like you know what you are talking about, good luck with Acronis 9.  

0 Kudos
fkasner Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

Actually I don't know  exactly when the problem started. I just believe it was after the installation of Acronis True Image Home 2009. I usually don't watch much of the boot up waste of time so could have missed the MBR Error 3 statement for a couple of weeks after installing Acronis True Image Home 2009. I usually use the otherwise wasted time for a longish bootup for getting my second puter going (the third one uses Linux and so doesn't have such problems.) I suspect I should contact Acronis and see what they have to say about this. Interestingly enough the error warning does not seem to produce any ill effects for the operation of the computer. I know that I could back up the programs and data (I usually do regular backups) and just reinstall the OS and see what happens if I install Acronis as the first program reinstall (after essentials such as antivirus things such as graphics card files and the uniterruptable power supply software, etc.) I just hate to have to spend the better part of a day or two reinstalling and configuring all those programs that I use only occasionally but which are essential to my operation.

FK

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
12391 12217 582 1540
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

Try loading the HP diagnostics or HP recovery from the bios, see if they will load, partition 3 should be the recovery partition

0 Kudos
fkasner Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

First sign of failure since the MBR Error 3 showed up several months ago. F11 will not bring up the Restore Point system. And I don't see anything that will allow a correction when the BIOS is opened and I look for something to restore the Master Boot Record. It was a lot easier with Windows up to XP when fdisk gave you the option of restoring the MBR. FK
0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
12391 12217 582 1540
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

Its a custom HP MBR, so fixmbr will do no good. No easy way to restore it.

0 Kudos
fkasner Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MBR Error 3

It appears that no other error is prevalent save the failure of F11 to work on bootup. I can get to the restore point screen via the help files so that is not a crippling problem. But I worry that something might come up in the future. I could reinstall the OS but then there is a lot of stuff on the HD that would have to be reinstalled. I am toying with the idea of an install of Windows 7 Professional as with the reinstall of the pot full of programs from a DVD disk.

FK, Ph.D. (retired professor of Chemisty.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation