cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
samantha_ann4
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Monitor problems? Maybe a software problem? Also complaint against HP

HP Recommended

Okay, I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about computers so go easy on me if you offer advice or helpful tips! 🙂

First of all, my computer info:
HP Pavilion g series
Intel Core i3 inside processor
Product: LU897AV
Model: g6t-1b00
also says: Pavilion g6

At about November of last year I dropped my computer from about a 5 feet high and it cracked the LCD screen fully Nov2011 LCD shattered

I recognized that this was completely my fault and called HP to get it sent in for repair. After paying $350 to get it repaired, I got it back two weeks later and everything seemed to be fine. Unfortunately, it was not. I started having troubles getting my computer monitor to show anything, it would just give me a black screen. I could hear the windows sound, but nada on screen. So I proceeded to call HP again because they obviously missed something during the repair process. So three weeks after my first call I send my laptop in again (this time free of charge) and get it back about 2 weeks later.

It seems to work fine for a while but I started getting the same black screen again on startup. I started noticing that after transporting my laptop this would happen, but it happened a few times when I would simply move it from one room to another. I discovered that if I waited a while or simply jiggled the monitor my screen would come back on. Or, if I shut down, popped out the battery for 10 seconds and started it back up with the battery and power cord it would work again. And, being a college student who needs her laptop, I let the issue drop and kept on with my laptop faulty repairs and all. (Also, when my computer was on, if I jostled or put some pressure on the bottom right side where the crack starts my monitor would turn black until I released the pressure)

I got this black screen many times over the next 6 months (from Dec. to June of 2012) up until recently (a few weeks ago) I started getting a white screen with vertical (and sometimes horizontal with the vertical) black lines. Once again, I found that if I jiggled the screen my computer would start up just fine. I would have sent the laptop in but my 90 day warranty was up and I needed it for class still. I recognize that sending it in would've been best but I was also worried that I would send it in, be without it for two weeks, and then get it back still broken.

Well, finally tonight I turned my laptop on, had the white screen with lines which went away after jiggling the screen a bit, I was on internet explorer, when suddenly my internet closes and my computer powers down. It then tried to start back up but after the HP invent logo all I got was a black screen with a flashing white cursor/underscore. It will not budge from this screen no matter what I try.

If you have any suggestions (that a computer dummy would understand) any and all help is appreciated. However, I am seriously dissapointed with HP for not fixing my computer in the first place. I paid almost half of what I originally paid for the laptop just to repair it. And to not get it repaired? I wish I would've spent that $350 on a brand new laptop. And one that was NOT HP.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Keter73
4 2 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If i were u, id suggest u have the entire laptop checked and not the screen only, if it persists, just sell it in parts and buy a new one
0 Kudos
Optimus_Prime99
Level 4
87 87 11 14
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The display issue(lines) is due to the display cable been loose, and as for the notebook now no longer able to boot to Windows, and only displays a black screen with a blinking cursor, you may try to test your notebook Hard Drive.

Power up the notebook and tap the F10 key repeatedly on startup and select Diagnostics >> Primary Hard Drive Self Test.

If you receive any error for the drive, the hard drive has failed and you would need to purchase a new one to fix your notebook.
0 Kudos
samantha_ann4
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will do that, thanks for the advice!

And as for the Primary Hard Disk Self Test, I ran it and it took a while but at the end it said "hard disk test passed" so I exited out and the black screen came back with the blinking cursor 😞

0 Kudos
Optimus_Prime99
Level 4
87 87 11 14
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You may try a System Recovery once to see if that helps, or you may visit a local service technician to get a estimate for the repairs.

You can try to access Recovery Manager using the f11 key on startup.

Data is lost incase you do proceed with the Recovery.
0 Kudos
Az-12
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:robotsurprised:I know your issiue! Don't get the new laptop!It's a problem with your baterry and the screen.

• Buy a replacement HP Baterry on Ebay,then order a new HP screen on Amazon.Also clean all your fans!Then your laptop should work fine.
  • This has been put in dummy words.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation