Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
17 12 2 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

New dv6t-7000 Quad Edition BSOD when loading classpnp.sys

HP Recommended

Hi All:

New dv6t-7000 Quad Edition, 8GB, 750GB HDD, 32MB "SSD", nVidia graphics, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, core i7-3610QM. Fails to boot - gets to the Windows start screen and then BSOD. Windows 'repair' won't load - BSOD. None of the options available when pressing F8 at Windows start-up are of any use - last known good config, etc. In safe mode BSOD occurs when loading classpnp.sys. Poked around in the BIOS to no avail - then reset back to 'factory default'. Nothing is plugged into any external port. All the BIOS diagnostic tests - memory, HDD, etc. (I ran all that are available) report no problems.

This notebook is about three days old - initially worked fine, then this started to occur.

I'm about ready for a re-install but it seems that this issue has been around for a while and this does not help.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,651 9,558 771 3,552
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in HP support forums.

I am sorry about the issue you experience and I would be glad if I can help you.

This is kind of complicated. Since this is new computer and you can, I recommend you reinstall your OS / recover your computer.

If your computer came preinstalled with Windows 7, please use the HP recovery procedure from hidden partition (during boot):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#N948

If you installed Windows on your own, you can create a data back-up, re-format the disks and reinstall Windows 7.

After your computer is recovered and you can start Windows, I recommend you again perform hard disk and memory checks:

- Use HP's BIOS options

- Create Windows system recovery disk (info here or here) , boot from this disk and open the Repair options. Perform memory check and after that

again boot from the disk and open the Command prompt to run disk check type  chkdsk c: /f /r

You can open the BIOS and if the initial issue reoccures you can check the hard disk options (disable SATA mode or play with the IDE / AHCI modes of the disk(s) ).

Make sure you run Windows Update and install all Windows updates (including Service Pack 1) and all hardware/drivers updates from HP.

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
17 12 2 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed suggestions. I will follow your instructions when I get home, and post the results.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,651 9,558 771 3,552
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are most welcome !

Keep me on track.

Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
17 12 2 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, here's some more information and it does not look good.

System info:

Product #: A3E82AV

System Board: 181B

BIOS version: F.25

Serial Number: {Private Information Removed}

From BIOS HP Advanced Diagnostics – All tests passed (I did not run the HDD long DST test)

BIOS set-up (F10):

-        Virtualization: disabled

-        Card Reader Power Saving: enabled

-        Fan Always On: enabled

-        Action Keys Mode: enabled

-        USB 3.0 Config in Pre-OS: auto

-        Intel Rapid Start Technology: enabled

-        Boot Options:

• CD-ROM Boot: enabled
  • Internal Network Adapter Boot: disabled
  • Legacy Support: enabled

F11 at boot brings up Windows Repair – not the HP Recovery Manager

The following is displayed when booting normally (from HDD, OR FROM THE HP FACTORY SYSTEM RECOVERY DVD):

“The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for updated BIOS. Stop: 0x000000A5”

Pressing F8 as Windows attempts to load results in the following:

-        All Safe modes: crashes when loading CLASSPNP.SYS

-        Last Known Good Configuration, Debugging, and Enable Low Resolution boot modes displays a very quick BSOD and then the system reboots.

-        Repair mode displays crashes with a BSOD – “The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for updated BIOS. Stop: 0x000000A5

This BIOS is very limited in options, but toggling what available options there are on and off has no effect to any of the above. I find it disconcerting that I cannot boot off of the HP supplied Factory System Recovery DVD.  I even tried booting off an XP Professional DVD and after setup loaded files there was a BSOD with a message to the effect of “Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive controllers. Check that the hard disk drive is properly connected. Run check disk and restart the computer.”

At this point there seems to be little I can do. I guess maybe the BIOS could be corrupt or there could be a hardware issue that the HP Advanced Diagnostics in the BIOS did not detect – although it seems very thorough.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,651 9,558 771 3,552
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting back.

What you see is Windows issue but related to the BIOS -
it might be corrupted or some setting has been changed and needs to be set correctly (e.g. HDD setting)

• I would try to open the BIOS and if possible reset it to default settings.
  • You can also experiment with the SATA mode of the disk (SATA disabled or set it to IDE/AHCI).

If this does not work,

according to Microsoft article and another one, I am afraid you will have to contact HP support and bring your computer to a service - they will be able to fix the BIOS for you.

Please, check your warranty, check the support options (here and here).

Find an authorized services provider and contact it.

If you need further help regarding your warranty or about finding service support provider, I would recommend you chat with online support person who will guide you further.

I am really sorry about the issue you experience and I hope it will get fixed soon.

Regards,

IT_WinSec

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
17 12 2 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alas, resetting the BIOS back to 'factory default' does not help. There are very few options in this BIOS (the ones I listed previously under BIOS set-up are the ONLY ones that are changeable (well, and the system clock)). I guess HP doesn't want people tinkering around the BIOS too much. The only ones that looked even remotely promising were 'legacy support' (would not boot at all - seems this must be enabled for Win 7 on this notebook) and 'Intel Rapid Start' which had no discernable effect on enable or disable.

Was considering re-flashing the BIOS but from HP's website it appears to be a Windows based application (unless someone can point me to one that is not) which does no good at all if the machine won't boot. There is a slightly newer BIOS version listed.

I've contacted support - we'll see what happens!

Thanks again for another rapid reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
17 12 2 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PS: Excellent links! If I could just flash the BIOS without having to be in Windows I think it might help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
17 12 2 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks to another thread in the forum I was able to restore the BIOS and everything is working fine (hold down [Windows key] and [b] key with the system off, then hold power button for 3 seconds to turn on).

Pretty handy BIOS feature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,651 9,558 771 3,552
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you very much for letting me know and for updating the thread.

I am really happy your issue is resolved !  :Wink:

Take care!

IT_WinSec

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation