cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 3 vinman_hotpot
Level 3
35 34 0 6
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No password required after waking up from Hibernate

Pavilion dv6 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

if I do not lock my PC screen before I hibernate my notebook PC the PC is not locked after I power on the next time. If I lock the PC screen BEFORE I hibernate the PC the PC screen is locked after I power on.

I did not change any of the power settings and the screen was always locked after hibernate/wakeup when I had the original Windows 7 OS.

Is anyone else facing this issue? I need to always remember to lock my PC before hibernating. If I forget other people can turn on my PC and access it without a password.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Level 6 dinu777
Level 6
392 390 28 85
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi 

>>do you want to remove the password ???

**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Level 7 redlofredlof
Level 7
803 779 67 160
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If I remember correctly, there was an option to lock the PC after resuming from hibernate.

Control panel>power options>require a password on wakeup

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

Level 6 dinu777
Level 6
392 390 28 85
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi 

>>if you want to disable it 

Go into Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Power Options and disable the Password on Resume option.

**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Level 2 hsiah
Level 2
25 25 1 5
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am wondering if the auto-luck symptom is occuring in your company PC? If it is, it might be caused by the company security setup by your IT guys. Thanks.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click "Kudos" if you think this reply helped.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem
0 Kudos
Level 3 vinman_hotpot
Level 3
35 34 0 6
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No, I do not want to remove the password. There was a password in Win 7 but after Win 10 upgrade the screen does not automatically lock after waking up from hibernate. With Win 7 the screen password would be asked for, by default, regardless of whether I locked my screen before I hibernated my PC.

I want the screen to be locked after waking up from hibernate (as it did when I had Win 7) regardless of whether I locked by screen or not before hibernating.

0 Kudos
Level 3 vinman_hotpot
Level 3
35 34 0 6
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"If I remember correctly, there was an option to lock the PC after resuming from hibernate."

Yes, I had that enabled in Windows 7 and it worked fine then. Now, after the Windows 10 upgrade the screen does not automatically lock during hibernate. When I power on the unit I see my desktop as it was before hibernate. That means anyone can access my PC without entering a passord.

When I am in front of my PC I will check to see if Windows 10 changed my hibernate/password settings. Maybe it was changed after the upgrade.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CharlesMSFT
Level 3
15 15 4 7
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Like the cable company, I want to make sure we try the easy stuff first.

Have you gone into the Power Options and reset the plan settings?

Start Menu - Settings - System - Power & Sleep - click Additional Power Settings

It will open up the old Control Panel with the different plans.

Regular Windows 10 will have two plans showing and sometimes a third under "Show Additional Plans"

Balanced, High Performance and Power Savings.

If you have selected one of these, you can try one to either switch to another plan, or click Change Plan settings and then click Restore Defaults.  Balanced is usually the best setting.

You might also have an additional power setting in here, a custom one created by software or by a company admin.  A Software plan that was designed to work with Win7 might not work right with Win10.  Best to change to a standard plan.  But, some software plans will grab it back.  If that happens (you close it out  and then reopen) you will need to find the software in the Apps and Features part of Settings and uninstall it.

This is the easy solution.  If this does not work, we will want to check your device manager and see if you have any devices with yellow or red bangs that might not be installed correctly.  Maybe a generic video driver.

Charles

I am a Microsoft Employee
Level 3 Aprat
Level 3
48 47 1 8
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

UPdate BIOS, Chipset and Graphics driver.

then

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings

Enable Password protection on wake up

Save Changes

Also go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Click on : Change advanced power settings 

Click on: restore defaults

Save Changes 

Level 3 vinman_hotpot
Level 3
35 34 0 6
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@CharlesMSFT wrote:

Like the cable company, I want to make sure we try the easy stuff first.

Have you gone into the Power Options and reset the plan settings?

Start Menu - Settings - System - Power & Sleep - click Additional Power Settings

It will open up the old Control Panel with the different plans.

Regular Windows 10 will have two plans showing and sometimes a third under "Show Additional Plans"

Balanced, High Performance and Power Savings.

If you have selected one of these, you can try one to either switch to another plan, or click Change Plan settings and then click Restore Defaults.  Balanced is usually the best setting.

You might also have an additional power setting in here, a custom one created by software or by a company admin.  A Software plan that was designed to work with Win7 might not work right with Win10.  Best to change to a standard plan.  But, some software plans will grab it back.  If that happens (you close it out  and then reopen) you will need to find the software in the Apps and Features part of Settings and uninstall it.

This is the easy solution.  If this does not work, we will want to check your device manager and see if you have any devices with yellow or red bangs that might not be installed correctly.  Maybe a generic video driver.

Charles

Thank you Charles, I checked the Power Settings last night. It turns out the "Require Password on wakeup" was disabled (even though it was enabled in Windows 7. I did some steps (as it was greyed out) to enable it again and now it works.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation