cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Notebook sleep/restart/shut down problem [Windows 10]

HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello friends,

I know that previously there was a very very long topic about this subject (link is below) but since I go through that topic detailed , I could not find a definite solution to this problem. My HP notebook does not go into sleep mode when I close the lid , does not shut down or restart when I click from Windows menu. Only way to close the laptop is pushing power button couple of seconds.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SOLVED-Windows-10-Laptop-won-t-g...

I highly doubt this is a driver problem but I already downgraded Intel Management Engine Interface driver to version 9 , unchecked "Turn fastbook on" option from Windows 10 power options , changed my power options to shutdown when I click power button or hibernate when I close the lid. But none of them works. Actually strange thing is that after I downgraded IMEI driver to version 9 , laptop restarted successfully. Even when I close the lid , it went directly to sleep mode but it only happened once. After using the laptop 1-2 hours , when I close the lid again it didn`t sleep.

Please if someone helps I`ll be much appreciated. By the way , laptop was working perfectly fine before with same Windows version. But I wanted to upgrade my HDD to SSD so I made a clean install to SSD. After this installation , problem started.

Hope to find a solution here. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,899 16,784
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Rather than loading an old version of the imei driver, see if installing the version below makes any difference - I'd suggest doing this as follows.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download the IMEI driver directly from Intel on the following link, unzip the package and run the installer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26127/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NU...

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

When the machine has reloaded, re-enable Fast Start-up and reboot the notebook once again - let Windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you David , I will try your solution and write back to this topic again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

Sorry for late response , I could just get my hands on the notebook again. The solution you provided did not work unfortunately , still same problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

No Problem :generic:

Another thing to try is as follows.

Disable fst startup and reboot the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In the Device Manager window, expand System devices, then scroll down to the entry Intel Management Engine Interface, right click this and select Properties.  Select the Driver tab and click Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When done restart the notebook.

Leave windows idling for 10 minutes and it should automatically reinstall the imei driver.

Restart the notebook again and check if there's any improvement - if there is, try re-enabling fast startup.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

David no luck again... I really started to be frustrated , it is very interesting because previously I was using the exact same windows only 2 days ago. Yesterday I bought new SSD , put it into notebook , installed same Windows again but this problem started..

Also another thing is I installed Windows 10 and then I installed HP Support Assistant to find all missing drivers and let it install all of it. Even after this one still problem was not solved.

I really don`t know what to do , I am thinking maybe go back to Windows 8.1 again...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok I have an update about this situation.. it seems SSD solution on this notebook is not working. I managed to arrange both SSD and HDD in caddy to be seen by Windows and it works perfectly. I can use notebook as before + much better read/write speeds thanks to SSD (even I am running it on Sata2 speeds). However when it comes to restart or shut down or put computer into sleep mode , it never works..

I tried every solution which was written in these forums but none of them helped. Some solutions helped for 1 day and next day it was same again.

And by the way , to be sure I tried only SSD without HDD in caddy , restart problem exists. When I put only HDD into laptop and run Windows on it , all the functions are working.

Any idea from experts ? The SSD I am using is : SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB SSD (SDSSDA-120G-G25)

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation