cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DLBurkhart
Level 3
37 31 3 12
Message 1 of 23
Flag Post

Now HP software is messing with my Documents folder

HP Recommended
Envy 17t-k200
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Which HP software application insists upon cluttering up the "Documents" folder?

I was just getting settled in to my new HP computer when the following folders appeared in the "Documents" folder:

1. hp.applications.package.appdata
  2. hp.system.package.metadata

I intend to remove the offending application(s).

Hopeless Rant (please forgive)

I understand how applications function better when they are allowed to keep separate settings for each Windows profile. But, somebody please inform the software developers to stop messing with my folder for personal files. Tell them to keep the application data where it belongs, in the "appdata" folder.

I guess it is obvious why Microsoft stopped labeling the folder "My Documents" - because presumptuous programmers couldn't resist stuffing junk into it.

22 REPLIES 22
Omar-E
Retired
Retired
10,015 6,596 119 423
Message 2 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DLBurkhart 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
nlillilanm
1 1 0 1
Message 3 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have an Hp Envy and I am having the same problem. Can I delete these folders? How do I stop the computer from making these floders?

omc1
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got a new computer and have the same thing in the documents file. Can we get more information about this?

ImTheMom
Level 1
4 3 0 3
Message 5 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's June 2015 and the same thing just happened with my new HP Spectre 360 running Windows 8.1

The answer above to the original message said "Thanks for pointing this out, we'll tell HP developers, they will contact the original poster privately".

What is the current status on this situation? Like everyone else, I don't like to see those system files sitting in the Documents folder.

IHDragon
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 6 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just purchased HP Pavilion laptop and same problem.

Please advise whether these files can be deleted or a way to hide them / save them somewhere else.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 7 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @IHDragon, @ImTheMom,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
DLBurkhart
Author
Level 3
37 31 3 12
Message 8 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This issue remains unresolved. Despite the two messages that I would be contacted about this issue, I haven't been contacted about it.

Yes, you can safely delete any uninvited folders and files from the "Documents" folder. They will likely persist in reappearing anyway. Just make sure whatever you delete is not something important you put there yourself and forgot about.

The sad truth is, as I presumed when I created this thread, we all will probably have to live with someone's poor decision to invade the sanctity of the "Documents" folder.

On an unrelated note and strictly for the amusement of Forum readers, check out the pop-up that showed when I tried to visit this forum. Rhetorically speaking, how am I supposed to answer this question?

Dead-feedback-form.png

Aloe99
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have the same issue. I have Envy7. Some of my folers or files in the " Documents" were missing  or gone.  Is there any solution available? 

0 Kudos
IHDragon
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 10 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just wanted to comment that I am not surprised no answer has been forthcoming. It seems entirely normal these days that developers "know best" and any customer feedback is ignored.

Just tell us we can delete thses files and that they won't come back. Or provide a proper fix please.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation