Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Optimize Windows 8.1 Performance

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I purchased a HP Envy dv6 (Windows 8 included) in Nov 2012.

For all those people that are having good experiences with Windows 8.1.....I was wondering what free software you have been using to optimize performance???

In the past I had good experience with.....

Avast

Advanced System Care 6

CCleaner

Iobit Malware Fighter

Driver Booster

However, in Windows 8, it seems some of these have been causing issues with the metro apps.  I have had to reset my computer to factory settings countless times because for some reason my metro apps can not maintain an INTERNET CONNECTION

Do you guys use any anti-virus software or registry/maintainance software to optimize your PC performance that has not caused any issues?  Is leaving windows firewall "on" your best option for protection? 

Chrome or Internet Explorer?

What PC settings adjustments do you make (such as set "never notify" in user account settings, etc.)?

What are some "must have" software that you have found useful?

Thanks in advance!!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,685 9,594 777 3,592
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for posting in HP Support forum and thank you for your trust in HP !

Let me try to answer some of your questions:

For all those people that are having good experiences with Windows 8.1.....I was wondering what free software you have been using to optimize performance???

No, it runs fine on its own. The less you touch, the better. 3rd party registry cleaners and optimizers should be used with caution only by people with advance knowledge on the matter. Most 3rd party optimizers (most, not all) cause more issues than fix. Keep the unnecessary programs out, defragment automatically or auto (if HDD, not if SSD), run Disk Clean up, clear up Temp folder.

Avast

Advanced System Care 6

CCleaner

Iobit Malware Fighter

Driver Booster

Of these I would not use any of them.

Do you guys use any anti-virus software or registry/maintainance software to optimize your PC performance that has not caused any issues?  Is leaving windows firewall "on" your best option for protection? 

Lightweight antivirus are ESET and Windows's own Defender. Windows Firewall (the firewall) is essential (crutial) part of the security of any system, computer, network so it must be ON. It does *not* slow down your computer or your *network* traffic.

Being without firewall leaves you open to attacks from hackers/malware and is huge data risk.

Antivirus software is also kind of must-have program to protect against known and unknown malware attacks. Windows Defender comes built in Windows 8/8.1  If you don't like it, you can try ESET NOD32, Norton Antivirus ...

Chrome or Internet Explorer?

They are both very light when it comes to performance. I personally choose IE 10 (my favourite - in win 7 and 😎 and IE11. But this is my opinion. Use whatever best suits you. IE is stable and very secure in the latest Windows versions. I prefer IE because it is 1st party, made from Microsoft and works.

What PC settings adjustments do you make (such as set "never notify" in user account settings, etc.)?

User Account Control is also very good part of the security. Actually, it helps the security's principle of "the least privilege" and helps your programs run with the least right they can. I recommend you use the default level3 or the higest level 4 "Always notify when". User Account Control can help you prevent malicious attacks / viruses / threats.

What are some "must have" software that you have found useful?

In my opinion there is no such thing as must have software - everybody installs and uses what they need. Statistics show that most people (98% or more) use Microsoft Office. Many have zip/rar archivers such as 7-zip , video software like VideoLAN , etc... it depends on what you need. Antivirus software ...

Visit www.microsoft.com/protect for more information on keeping computer secure and fit

Please, let me know if I can help you further and don't hesitate to ask for assistance if you face issues.

*** Please click the white KUDOS star (on the left). This way you show appreciation for advice or help you received.  If your problem has been solved - click the appropriate button and accept the solution. ***

Your feedback and update are important. Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks
I am an HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** My location: Europe *** HP Expert - Volunteer
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please don't averload the pc with these softwares....Advanced System care load too much on pc and sometime destry useful files....

And in case of antivirus...if you have windows 8 or 8.1 u need not to install a antivirus...Windows defender is too good as u expect..Please turned on Windows defender...and for some light casse system care you shoukd use Tune Up utilities....Both these are enough to maintain the pc without affecting the files and creating overload on PC

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response.  That was the approach I was thinking after all the issues I have been having with third party "maintenaince" and "anti-virus" software.

My friends in the technical support industry have always told me to disable user account notifications and the windows firewall but so far it seems to be working fine in Windows 8.1.  I think I will stick with this approach for now.

Thank you!!!

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,685 9,594 777 3,592
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@koppajf34 wrote:

Thank you for the quick response.  That was the approach I was thinking after all the issues I have been having with third party "maintenaince" and "anti-virus" software.

My friends in the technical support industry have always told me to disable user account notifications and the windows firewall but so far it seems to be working fine in Windows 8.1.  I think I will stick with this approach for now.

Thank you!!!

You are welcome !

Feel free to post again.

Your feedback and update are important. Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks
I am an HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** My location: Europe *** HP Expert - Volunteer
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation