cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jhr
Level 2
13 10 1 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Pavilion dv6t Factory Partitions (Basic vs Dynamic) Issue

HP Recommended

The following 4 partitions were configured on my new laptop.

(C:), Recovery (D:), HP_Tools (E:), and SYSTEM

The disk configuration was "Basic"

When I created a new Data partition my only choice was to change the disk to "Dynamic" because a "Basic" partition is only good for 4 partitions. There are several issues with a Dynamic configuration (some good some bad). I want a separate DATA partition but because HP has now added this unknown HP_Tools partition you can't add another partition without changing the type to Dynamic.

I like using a separate partition to allow automatic system image updates even though I realize I could lose my image with a failed disk. The problem is a "Dynamic" hard drive can not restore an image properly.

So I'm looking for any comments or suggestions to the following:

How important is the HP_Tools partition?

Since the SYSTEM partition is separate could I store that image on the C: partition? I have never before seen a separate partition for the SYSTEM as it is typically part of the C: drive. 

Thanks  

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,469
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you need another partition I would use HP Recovery Manager in your Start Menu to burn a Recovery Disk set. Next use it to delete the recovery partition.Instructions HERE

If you move or delete the E:\System your laptop will no longer boot...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

jhr
Author
Level 2
13 10 1 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually ordered a backup set with the computer so I have that anyway. So replacing the Recovery (D) drive with my Data drive would be the least impact way avoid the 4 partition limit for a "Basic" type hard drive. Unfortunately I will need to reinstall the system since there is no way to go back from "Dynamic" to "Basic".

I guess the SYSTEM partition without a drive letter must be "F" since C,D,E are used and when I created a new partition it became G.

Can you confirm that when an image is created it is of the SYSTEM partition? In past systems I always made the "C" drive no larger than it had to be to minimize my images.

0 Kudos
jhr
Author
Level 2
13 10 1 2
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a follow up, here is what I did.

I reinstalled the original factory system

Deleted the Recovery partition

Shrunk the "C" partition

Created a "DATA" partition with all unallocated disk space

Since I now only have 4 partitions the hard drive was not converted to Dynamic. Now I can save images on the new "Basic" partition, of course with the knowledge that if the hard drive fails I lose my image. Since I also periodically create an image on an external hard drive I consider this image backup approach acceptable.  

0 Kudos
EverWin
Level 6
385 381 19 96
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dear jhr

refer this page

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Partition-the-Hard-Drive-HP-dm3-1130us/m...

you can also use DISKPART to convert the free space to logical partition & create as many partitions you want

http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1172499.htm

~"If my solution has helped you in any way, please click on the white start to give Kudos."~

~"Please click on the Accept as solution button if your problem has been resolved."~
jhr
Author
Level 2
13 10 1 2
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The links have some good information to better understand disk partitioning options. Thanks for taking the time to provide them. At the present time I have solved my immediate problem and have many more fish to fry setting up my new computer. I will mark these links for future reference and stay with my deleted RECOVERY partition that was replace by a new DATA partition.

For all that have responded, Thank you!

CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,469
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please take a minute to mark the appropriate reply by clicking "Accept as Solution" to close your thread.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation