Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

The blue light does not come on automatically when I boot my laptop up, signifying that the wireless is turned on. I have to press the orange button until it turns blue and then the wireless works. Although not a major problem, it is inconvenient as it takes a couple of minutes for the wireless to kick in and find the wi-fi signal etc.

This has never happened before and I can only think it must be linked to me recently taking the wireless card out as part of the process of getting to the fan to clear a blockage. The wireless card has been connected back up ok as it does start when the button is pressed, but I can't help but think that disconnecting it has kickstarted this problem meaning that it doesn't start automatically when the laptop is fired up.

I have a Compaq CQ60 running Win7 32bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download and reinstall HP Wireless Assistant from the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp44501-45000/sp44700.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open HP Wireless Assistant, click the Properties button, enter a tick against 'Independent controls for installed wireless devices' and then click the 'Turn on all' button.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K

Many thanks for your speedy reply.

I tried the steps you outlined, but I'm still having the same problem, i.e. wireless capability not starting up automatically.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you have HP Wireless Assistant or HP Connection Manager installed?

If you have either of these softwares, make sure you're wireless card is turned on and then uninstall the HPWA or HPCM.  When done, shut down the notebook and go through the process of re-seating the wireless card.

Any change in the start-up behaviour?

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello

Unfortunately not - laptop still powering up with the orange light on.

HP Recommended
sorry, by re-seating you mean unconnecting wireless card and then putting back in again? this is what i did after uninstalling the HPWA.

after doing this, should i have then gone through the reset business again as described in your first reply?

Thanks again.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download and reinstall HP Wireless Assistant from the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp44501-45000/sp44700.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open HP Wireless Assistant, click the Properties button, enter a tick against 'Independent controls for installed wireless devices' and then click the 'Turn on all' button.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Lovely, all sorted now.

Thank you so much. You are the definition of great service.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's working :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.