cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GreatWhiteNorth
Level 2
16 12 0 2
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Problem With the HpqToaster Module

HP Recommended

Can anyone tell me what the HpqToaster module does (Windows Task Manager | Processes | HpqToaster.exe)?

I've been trying to debug a startup error on my PC that might be related to this module.  Here's the basic info from Windows Event Viewer:

Source DistributedCOM; EventID 10016; The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D215781D-019E-4FA0-903D-0CDCDE13A4F5} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

When I run the Microsoft Management Console (comexp.msc) and open the DCOM Config folder (Console Root | Component Services | Computers | My Computer | DCOM Config) I get a warning stating:

Item "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe" and title Destroy Class has the name value AppID, but is not recorded under HKEY CLASSES ROOT\AppID.  Do you wish to record it?

I'm not a tech expert and if I don't need HpqToaster running on my PC I'd rather just disable the process than try to figure out how to configure DCOM permissions.

Here’s the relevant info on my current configuration:

- HP dv6835ca Pavilion notebook PC (3 GB RAM, Intel 1.83 GHz Core Duo T5550 processor, 2 MB L2 cache)

- HP C5280 All-In-One printer (connnected through USB port, no Internet printing or LAN)

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium v. 6.0.6002 SP2 (32-bit)

- HP Software Update v. 5.002.000.010

- HP Health Check v. 3.1.10.1

- HP Total Care Advisor v. 1.4.19.2433

- HP Active Support Library v. 3.1.10.1

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
kurkosdr
Level 1
9 9 0 3
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,

HpqToaster Module is the program manages the pop-ups related to Quick Launch buttons, HP Wireless assistant and SmartCard manager (not sure about the smart card manager).

For example, when you increase the volume by pressing the volume up button on your keyboard, a small splash window that shows you the sound volume appears. HpqToaster is the program that makes this popup appear.

If you have a problem with this program, I recommend downloading the latest versions of HP QuickLlaunch buttons, HP Wireless Assistant and smartcard manager from HP.

If you are still having problems, disable quick launch popup windows (double click on the quick launch icon on the bottom right, go to pereferences and disable "enable quick launch popups"), the wireless assistant and smart card manager. This should stop the errors.

If not, then you may have to uninstall quicklaunch and wireless assistant to solve the problem....

If this doesn't work, then uninstall the smart card manager too...

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation