Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been battling this issue on my Pavilion dv8 for two years.  After returning it for repair the problem returned in a few weeks.

After reading about the issue of static build up, it came to me to fight the static magnetic field with another magnetic field. 

I cut a strip: 1" long by 3/4 " wide from the Real Estate Magnet Calendar on the refrigerator door.  It is about as think as my finger nail.  

I placed this on the metal speaker housing just above the blue internet indicator light.  I covered up the word Altec and left Lansing exposed. Notice I said "BLUE"   not "Orange".

Result:  After two days of testing I have only had it go Orange on time. 

The Internet connection light turns off and on easily, and the Treble and Volume touch pads work as well ...

Let me know if it works for you, I had punched mine once before and it worked Ok for 2-3 hours, but I have a  sore knucke ...  Ouch ...

Dr. Jim A. Talley {Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

Interesting idea, if the problem persists place the magnet on the speaker grill, but move it to the centre of the bezel area, or even better leave your first one where it is and place the new one in the centre.

The centre is where the cable is inserted into the ZIF connector and I believe that is where the problem originates from. The ZIF connector has exposed solder connections in that area which make it susceptible to static electricity.

My theory why the dv8 is afflicted with this problem and not the HDX is that the dv8 has extra circuits on the motherboard where the exposed ZIF connector connections are. On the HDX that same area on the motherboard has no circuitry and there for does not affect the ZIF connector on the bezel.

And in case you are wondering why I am comparing the HDX to the dv8 is that the laptops are the same except for the motherboard and even they are almost the same shape and size. I have even converted an HDX to a dv8 by fitting a dv8 board into a HDX case.

HP Recommended
When I took the paper backing off the magnet, it did not as well, so I have to cut off another piece and leave the paper backing on...

This really works. I am amazed, the key was when you mentioned static ...
HP Recommended

Interesting... The magnets are creating a tiny magnetic field that disrupts the internal static discharge in that area.

Wish I had thought of that. :Surprise:

HP Recommended

Unbelievable!!! - I've had the same issues with the wi-fi dropping in and out, but since I tried the magnet placement (cut up a magnetic calendar with paper backing too) it's worked like a charm - havent had a drop since I placed it up there - THANKS!!! (about 50 hours on multiple starts since I placed the magnet there w/o a signal drop or wifi button freaking our between red and blue)

HP Recommended

It seems that the static over time will weaken the magnet, so I have had to replace the magnetic strips in about a month.  

Long term solution:  Buy a new laptop without the touch strip and Windows 8, that will give a new set of issues to work ...    

HP Recommended

I found a red-heart magnet! it is in place-disconnecting ethernet now!

HP Recommended

You can not use anything very thick, it will break your screen when you close the lid ... I have started using these mangetic Business Cards, cutting them in half , putting one half above the Internet light to keep it "Blue", I love blue, I hate orange ...  put the other half above the Volume mute button ...

I have to change these out every 3-4 weeks, they loose the magnetic charge ...

Sometimes I take the magnets off and let it run till I get 2-3 orange lights and then put the magnets back on ...

I hope to order my new HP ENVY, without this issues and a BACKLIT KEYBOARD ....

The Rule:  Buy a new Laptop every other year ....   put it in your budget ...$1200 a yead ....

MOORE"S LAW:   The speed of the CPU, will double every 18 months, it has never missed in 35 years ...

Have a great week ...   NO ORANGE LIGHTS ..!!!! 

HP Recommended

Has this problem been fixed?

HP Recommended

Not by HP.........

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.