Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The final soluction is a Firmware update: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-96360-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

With this update the touchpad is more slowly and working without flashing and blinking any more.

HP Recommended

Hi, i have owned a DV8 for almost 2 years and recently bought a new laptop so i want to sell the old one. The problem is, the damned thing has the wifi button problem and i don't want to sell it like that. I have already tried the magnets solution and installed the firmware update, but the problem persists, an i don't want to spent 40 dls in a tape i will only use for this.

The question is: do any of you know if an aluminium tape can be used as a replacement to the copper tape to shield the components? This are a few exaples of what i want to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/LCD-Repair-kit-Conductive-Aluminum/dp/B004TRW5CQ/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=13559...

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Shielding-Tape-2-Wide/dp/B0081HGMOM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=135594561...

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-280416-1-88-Inch-10-Yard-Aluminum/dp/B007FN9FWY/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Any answer will be very much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Your first link, it says it's conductive, although it doesn't come out and say the adhesive is conductive, but that's probably what they mean, since it's obvious that the aluminum is conductive.

http://www.amazon.com/LCD-Repair-kit-Conductive-Aluminum/dp/B004TRW5CQ/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=13559...

I am also going to assume you saw my videos and the info in the first post of the thread I started.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/dv8-and-HDX-Series-OSD-Pop-Up-Solution/...

The important thing is to make sure that the aluminum tape is grounded with in the laptop to dissipate the static electricity, if it's not, then all the tape will do is spread the static around and make things worse.

Be sure to unplug the adapter and remove the battery, also hold down the power button for 30 seconds after the battery and adapter are removed. Do this before opening up your machine.

There was actually  a poster that tried to follow the videos and do the repair while the laptop was on !  :Surprise:

She did manage to touch the key board ribbon cable to a live part of the MoBo, and it was thought to be ruined, but a hard reset fixed this surprisingly.

HP Recommended

Ha well that was an awful idea of her to do that, and yeah i would not even hold a screwdriver near my laptop if i had not a minimum idea of what am i doing.

Anyways, i'll try with the repair kit tape and post the results as soon as the fix is done.

And many thanks for your fast answer, it's very much appreciated.

HP Recommended

hptoneCtl.exe missing

HP Recommended

Tone control is missing ??? _ missing from your Soft Ware Set Up (SwSetup) folder or is the On screen display missing when you use the Bass and Treble ?

Anyways, I saved it from my dv8 ages ago, so please PM me with an e-mail address and I will send you the application file.

I am running W8 on my dv8, and I tried it on that OS and it does work even though it was meant to run in W7.

Personally I would not even recommend it, I would just use the equalizer in the IDT audio program, the tone control program is just more HP bloat ware that doesn't really do anything anyway, but if you want it I do have it.

Don't use the one on your support page, it's corrpted and HP never did fix it.

HP Recommended

Solution 1

I cut strips of magnetic business cards and laid then above the touch buttons.  This works for a while, but it will bleed  down the magnetic strips in 2-3 three weeks, then you have to replace the strips.

Solution 2 

I upgraded to Windows 8, and the problem went away????

HOPE THIS HELPS!  

HP Recommended

Would someone tell me if the cable that connects this top LED bar and the motherboard is a normal flat cable or inverted.

I've messed up mine when fixing this.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

It's a flat ribbon cable _ I don't know what you mean by "inverted"...

I am also going to assume that when you say top LED bar that you mean the hot-key bezel that surrounds the keyboard.

With out checking I don't know how may conductors (connections) are with in the cable _ would you like me to check ?

HP Recommended

Yes, yes,  hot key bezel.

I read somewhere led bar, and made sense (those lights are LEDs, right ?).

Inverted means that the open surfaces are on opposite sides.

In one tip the metallic strips are on top, and on the opposite tip, they are on the bottom.

Inverted:

contact 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

contact 2

====--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normal:

contact 1                                                                                                                  contact 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

====---------------------------------------------------------------------====

(I've represented four, but there are nine strips)

Check it for me only if you got the time, opportunity and patience.

Thanx

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.