Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dude, I have taken my lap top completely apart (did I really have to take this much off?  wow), and now I am completely baffled as to what to do.  The descriptions are detailed, but they are also complex/confusing.  I have aluminum heat tape, and I have duct tape, and electrical tape.... now what?

HP Recommended

Don't use duct tape, the adhesive breaks down and dries out.

I have to put a new mother board in a HDX that I am working on and I will take some screen shots of exactly where to put things.

I hope you didn't take the top palm rest off. The only parts that need to be taken off is the speaker cover, hot-key bezel and keyboard.

HP Recommended

In these photos I have used aluminum duct tape. In this case the adhesive does not conduct electricity so the ends have been folded over to make contact with the laptop's grounding strip's.

100_0560.JPG100_0563.JPG100_0565.JPG100_0568.JPG100_0569.JPG100_0570.JPG100_0571.JPG100_0574.JPG100_0575.JPG100_0576.JPG100_0578.JPG100_0579.JPG

HP Recommended

The pics look great. You are doing it perfectly.

I would add some foil tape under the ribbon cable and lay a path that connects to the existing screw bezel foil. Just under the ribbon cable will be a sticky area. That is the spot to lay some foil down. You may have put  some there already.

The one other area is to add to the length of the existing foil wrap that is on the ribbon cable. I see that you added to the middle and tied it in to ground but try to extend the wrap towards the LED panel. If you extend the mother board end, make sure it wont short on anything.

I cant tell if the ribbon cable foil is covered with kapton from the picture. I did not cover mine but you could do it either way.

I am hopefully going to take it apart tonight and take some pics to post.

HP Recommended

I was quite sure I was on the right track, but I wanted to be sure, thanks for the additional input. AustinBrister seemed rather desperate as he took his machine apart, so I thought I would hand him a life line with some photo's.

He's disappeared though.

One of the problems here is making people understand what "ground" is, what it does, it's concept and how it applies here in this case.

HP Recommended

I thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences with this particular computer. I too am having the same problems and it is frustrating as hell. Have been on phone numerous times with HP,  problem not resolved. We should not have to take so much time attempting to correct. [Content Removed] There is enough evidence out there that this in an inferior product and should be recalled and/or an easy fix should be posted for all concerned. I will update as concerns the outcome.  Good luck to all. 

HP Recommended

Hello Brian,

Are you still considering creating those "repair kits" for $5.00?

Thanks Again

HP Recommended

Yes, keep us posted.  {Content Edited} We shouldn't have to take the thing apart ourselves to repair a defective design....especially not for the amount of money that we paid.

HP Recommended

Will keep forum advised as to outcome. Thanks for response. 

HP Recommended

Yes guys, I am going to put a kit together for the fix. I went to take it apart last night to take some detailed pics but my wife was on it. I will see if I can do it tonight.

August3rd, HP does not have any way to fix this. Currently you need to do it on your own, based on the info I posted on this thread. You could also bring the info to a local tech and have it done.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.