Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi mjampolsky.

"Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free Edition" doesn't exist, so i down loaded "Paragon Backup & Recovery  14 Free".

I have the recovery partitions but just cannot seem get the recovery partition to boot?

Help please or email me directly on (removed content)

Much appreciated.

HP Recommended
Sorry..
Google paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition
Current edition is 14

Worked like a charm.
you'll use the rescue media configurator... just make the Linux disc and follow the instructions posted previously
HP Recommended

Thanks mjampolsky, for the speedy reply.

1) I downloaded Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition 14

2) made a rescue disc with Paragon on USB Stick (U created the Windows PE boot disk????)
3) I can boot up the laptop with this disc

It cannot see the option to load the recovery partition.

More details would be great mjampolsky.

Thanks

HP Recommended
2: I used the second option for the boot disc

3: after booting from the disc it give 4 options... the last option says to search for other operating systems

4: after it searches it should show your main operating system on your hard drive AND one that says recovery
HP Recommended
Hey i have hp pavilion 15 n213tu with win 8.1 pre installed and after 2 years i was facing a problem with my windows (which was not even loading) then i have re installed windows 8 (deleted all the partitions and created some new partition ) because i do not have 8.1 image and after that when i open the notebook pressing f11 nothing opens but simply continue the boot to windows 8. Also i don't have any recovery partition now . Please help me what to do . I also don't have money to buy hp recovery disk! Help please
HP Recommended
I own a new hp pavilion x360 13-u133tu model with Windows 10 x64bit. My OS does not boot after windows 10, 1607(anniversary edition) update. Hence tried to boot into recovery by pressing f11. But notebook shuts down while booting into recovery. Can anyone tell how to solve the issue
HP Recommended

@mjampolsky wrote:
2: I used the second option for the boot disc

3: after booting from the disc it give 4 options... the last option says to search for other operating systems

4: after it searches it should show your main operating system on your hard drive AND one that says recovery

Hi,

I can't see the 4 options that you mentioned, can you give more details about the boot disc? you create the recovery media builder by use ADK/WAIK with Windows PE?

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that if you installed Windows 7 (or usually any Windows) on another basic partition (e.g. you replaced your original Vista partition with a Win7 install) and still have the HP RECOVERY on another drive partition (doesn't have to be C: mine was D:), you can always just go into the Adminstrative Tools (for Win 7), Computer Management, Disk Management, set the HP RECOVERY partition to active by right clicking on it and selecting 'MARK PARTITION AS ACTIVE', restart the computer, and hit F11 at the prompt. It will go to HP's recovery and then go to Advanced Options, System Restore. Things may be called differently now, but the process should be similar. 

HP Recommended
What I don't get is if so many people are having problems with their recovery why won't the people who do have them be so kind to upload them. Or why won't HP make it easier to manually restore the recovery partition. Even that crappy Samsung has the option to make an Admin tool USB stick to manually make a new recovery partition. I even have 3 partitions on Windows 7 and the recovery still works so not sure why people are saying that it won't work in Windows 7 to make more partitions and keep the recovery. UP has been around for so long, can't believe nobody has figured something out yet.
HP Recommended

It might be a litte late but I´ve finally found how the F11 function works and sucessfully managed to move my recovery partition to a new harddrive.

If you take a look at the MBR you see that the first partition starts at sector 2048, so you have got 1MB 'unused' space before the first partition. In this space at adress 0xa00 and 0x1400 are POS strings that point to the sector where the recovery partition starts. At my presario CQ57 it was pointing at 926599168 exaxtly where my 3rd partition was located.

So I grabbed some live linux and started the task:

First I started with a backup of the first 2048 sectors of my harddrive:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/external_harddrive/backup_1M.img bs=512 count=2048

Then I made a backup of the recovery partition itself (was partition 3):

dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/external_harddrive/backup_recovery.img

Then I installed a new harddrive and restored the backup of the first 2048 sectors. Since the first sector contains the MBR, the whole partition table is restored too:

dd if=/external_harddrive/backup_1M.img of=/dev/sda

Then you have to run partprobe to read the altered partion table:

partprobe /dev/sda

and now you may use the fdisk tool to change the partitions as you like, but you have to use sector mode(!) (u-key):

fdisk /dev/sda

After you have altered (and saved) your partion table, write down the start sector of the recovery partition (sda3):

fdisk -lu /dev/sda

Now you can restore the backup of your recovery partition:

dd if=/external_harddrive/backup_recovery.img of=/dev/sda3 

Now use an hexeditor and change the jump table in the first 2048 sectors at adress 0xa00 and 0x1400 to the number you have just written down before:

hexedit /dev/sda

return -> 0xa05 -> tab -> enter number

return -> 0x1405 -> tab -> enter number

ctrl-X -> Yes

Now the recovery partition should be usable, but it isn´t yet, since the F11 function uses a low level routine, you have to change the hidden sectors count in the VBR of your recovery partition:

convert the starting sector of your recovery partition to hex (windows calc, programmers mode) -> B1 B2 B3 B4

then you have to change the byteorder to little endian (reverse the 4 bytes, not the bytes itself) -> B4 B3 B2 B1

now start your hexeditor and place the 4 Bytes in reversed order at location 0x1C in the VBR:

hexedit /dev/sda3 -> return -> 0x1C -> B4 B3 B2 B1 -> ctrl-X -> yes

Now you´re done and should be able to use the F11 Key again to start the recovery partition if needed.

Maybe this helps someone. I spend nearly a whole day to find out how this worked, maybe it saves you some time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.