Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq NW8000
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi All,

I have just pulled an old laptop out of storage to use as a home computer, but when I tried to fix the BIOS settings it came up with a Administrator Password that I cannot remember.

No problem I thought I'll try;

1. Removing the CMOS battery and Security Module and wait 5 mins and try again...no luck...OK.
  2. Removing the CMOS battery and Security Module and wait 30 mins and try again...no luck...OK.
  3. Removing the CMOS battery and Security Module and wait 1 hour and try again...no luck...really...OK.
  4. Removing the CMOS battery and Security Module and wait over 24 hours and try again...no luck...**bleep**!
  5. So I pulled the whole machine apart to find a jumper set on the motherboard and broke the Blue Tooth module in the process...no jumpers and now I have to resolder the module...awesome!
  6. So next I tried the BIOS Password Backdoor hack from http://dogber1.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html but could not get the 'hash' code to appear...crap.
  7. So I tried the www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd tool...it seemed to work as per the instructions, but then when I went back into the BIOS it asked for an Administrator Password again.

I am fresh out of ideas of what I need to do!

Does anyone know if this particular model has a Master Administrator Password or is there a backdoor entry method I can use?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter incorrect password for 3 times and it will generate a system halt code. Mention that code , so that the reset key can be generated for the same.

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
, I am speaking for myself and not for HP and I am not an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

It does not give me code, it only shows a * as per the attached image;

Administrator Password.jpg

I have tried pressing the F2 and F12 key before entering the last password in the hope it would generate the halt code, but I only get the * symbol...any ideas how to show the halt code?

Cheers!

HP Recommended
There is no master password generator for your model

Remove the AC, main battery, keyboard then CMOS/RTC battery

If that does not work then STRINGENT SECURITY is enabled

I strongly recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance

You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status

Warranty = http://tinyurl.com/6cf8qju
Contact HP = http://tinyurl.com/an9pmy3

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

STRINGENT SECURITY...now that's a new one I have not heard before 🙂

Can I format and reinstall the BIOS from a CD or through Windows?

I am sure that this machine is now out of warranty considering that it is over 5 years old, so not too sure if HP Support will help on this issue...but I'll give it a try in the morning.

HP Recommended

NW8000.

KNRK is correct.

Stringent.jpg

There could be one thing to look for.

Look under the memory." Remove any plastic that may cover the motherboard."

See if you find anything that looks like this.

IMG_7877[1].jpg

If it is there use small flat head screwdriver to short the contacts.

Best of luck.

REO

HP Recommended

OK...I tried to locate this reset feature on the motherboard and had no luck...this is so frustrating.

I'll have to try HP Support to see if they can assist...but my guess is not!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.