Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
aidancollett Top Student
Top Student
3 0 3
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen cracked, touch screen not working, HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j004sa Notebook

The display of my HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j004sa Notebook is cracked from top to bottom. This has resulted in the touch screen ceasing to function... what am I to do? Can I send my laptop off to be mended, or do I have to take it back to John Lewis to get it mended? What is the likely cost of fixing it?

6 REPLIES 6
Hazbad Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's not covered under HP warranty for any reason as I found out.  They will repair it for about $250.

solanki349 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there, 

I have also had the same problem with my HP Envy TouchSmart 15-j004sa. Which to research is the same designed laptop with different spec, mine has 16 GB ram, 1TB HDD & Intel i7-4700MQ (2.4Ghz) Processor.

The crack happened a few weeks ago but because I am at college and am going through a mock exam season, it has been a bit hard to find time to research the issue at hand.

I bought my laptop on the 29/12/13 from John Lewis. It has been perfect up until the point of the crack a few weeks ago. I use my laptop during lesson to make notes which are essential to any student as you can imagine.

After I noticed the crack had emergered I immediately took it to my local John Lewis, which is the one where the laptop was initially purchased to seek their advice and help. They then proceeded to tell me that the damage to the screen was considered “accidental damage” under there 2 year guarantee scheme and that they couldn’t do anything apart from give me HP Support’s number. I was furious.

Later on that evening I phoned HP Support Team who were rude and incompetent. I explained the situation to them and the technician on the other end of the phone was convinced that it was most definitely “accidental damage” which isn’t covered under the 2 year warranty given by HP. She then proceeded to tell me that I could send it to them at my own cost for them to examine and evaluate the damage which would take aroung 10-14 business days depending to give a quote on the repair; but I can't do this as I need my laptop for school.

I have been very dissapointed as a former Apple Mac user. I bought this laptop as the college recomended buying a windows machine as there systems and softwares that they use are all windows based can't be used on Mac.

After all of this I am left with an expensive premium windows laptop with a broken touchscreen. 

HP Screen Crack.jpg

0 Kudos
aidancollett Top Student
Top Student
3 0 3
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am in the same boat. Accidental damage not covered, fair enough. Cost to solely repair the screen and a hinge was quoted at (brace yourselves) £457! On a £900 laptop! I pretty much told them to jog the hell on, and will never buy HP again. Flimsy products, that are overpriced with appalling customer service and eye watering repair costs. I tell anyone who will listen not to buy HP
solanki349 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The thing is it wasn't damaged by me. I had it one minute fine went on it 5 minutes later and it was cracked all across the right hand side. £457 is ridiculous. HP seriously needs to adress this issue. It's an absolute disgrace±!

0 Kudos
aidancollett Top Student
Top Student
3 0 3
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine was my fault, it just fell off my bed. But it only fell 40 cm or so, something any normal laptop would be able to wishstand. My screen is completely shattered, extremely hard to see anything through it on the right side, but it was that or pay £450 so I put up with it.
Over the next couple of years, there's going to be a huge number of complaints about the cost of replacing touch screens excuse the cost difference between touch and non touch fixings is unreal
solanki349 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it's just a shame because it is a powerful laptop for people that want an alternative. But if it has dreadful build qulaity what are we left to do! 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation