cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 11 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP B6B75AV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 12 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm still waiting on HP.  After "upgrading" from 8.0 to 8.1, Simple pass quit working on the Start screen.  So these tiles are worthless!  8.0 worked.  They should never have allowed their customers to "upgrade" until their engineers had it running problem free. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 13 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am the owner of a Touchsmart m7 Envy Sleekbook and am also very dissapointed.  I think you forgot to mention the totally dysfunctional "wireless display".

If you are truely a "journalist with international credentials"  why don't you write a damning review of HP.  I traveled halfway around the world to pick up my computer and I am ready to trash it.

In any event Apple, here I come.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 4
Message 14 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ectophile wrote:

I just purchased an HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC running Windows 8.0 about 5 days ago. I was able to configure Simple Pass, scan and add digits, and associate passwords. Then I upgraded to Windows 8.1. I am now unable to open SimplePass, add additional finger scans, or change the settings since updating yesterday to Windows 8.1.

I tried to re-install the program as a repair function. It does function in allowing and accepting a fingerprint scan at logon. When I click on the program in my start menu it begins to open, loads databases, then disappears. 

I then uninstalled Simple Pass and re-installed it after downloading it again from HP at this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-122818-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

During installation, there was a message that I was missing True API (x64), which the installer located and re-installed and then installed http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63224.exe

After successfully re-installing Simple Pass Version 6.0.100.276 I re-booted my computer. However the program still is not fully functional. I still can't open SimplePass, add additional finger scans, or change the settings. I am able to login to Windows with a fingerprint scan, but it doesn't prompt me for scans when I login at various web sites.

I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ectophile

I am on my second HP Envy TS 17 (first came with bad finger print reader but now that seems to be not a problem since SimplePass doens't function as it should). It came with SimplePass 8.0 which has to be the worst software product I've every used in my over 50 years of IT industry experience. It does windows login and after that becomes almost not functioning. The menu is horrible. I have a DV6 running Win 78 and SimplePass 6.0 from Authentec who has obviously gone away but I've been trying to get HP tech support to answer my question of "will 6.0 work on Win 8.1" and can't seem to get that simple question answered. I don't want to spend my life attempting to get 6.0 to work if its not compatible. Its absolutely unacceptable that HP cannot deliver a tested and user friendly program that supports the fingerprint reader that the consumer is paying for.

Highlighted
Author
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 15 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jim,

I agree with you that the SimplePass software, originally produced by an Australian company based in Melbourne, but now owned by Apple Computer, is flawed. What bothers me the most is that HP, a company that I formerly admired, refuses to take ownership of this issue.

In my numerous exchanges of messages and phone calls I have had responses that range from (A) it's my fault for updating to Windows 8.1, (B) there's always some glitch with a new computer, nothing is perfect, (C) just be patient and wait for HP to come up with an update for SimplePass, (D) your expectations are too high. I can go on, but I also agree completely with you that our time is more valuable.

I escalated this issue to HP Corporate HQ using an online form, and was contacted by a senior technician based in Chicago. He sent me a complimentary order for HP Smart Friends, a remore login support service that is mostly based in Canada, and a telephone number for that service. I have not yet contacted them.

My feeling is that on a basis of 1 to 10, least to most critical, I would rate the importance of fixing SimplePass at about a 5 or 6.

Two other HP ENVY issues, no slide show in the 8.1 Lock Screen window and Windows not updating automatically but requiring confirmation to download and install the updates, I would rate at a 1 or 2, very low importance.

The only unresolved issue that I feel is really critical is that the UEFI Secure Boot was disabled when I upgraded the Insyde BIOS, and following HP instructions, I cannot enable Secure Boot because the down arrow cursor skips over Secure Boot when I attempt to change the status in the BIOS. I would rate this as a 10, since it is a security vulnerabity.

I do not understand why HP has taken such a careless approach, unless they have calculated this these issues do not substantially impact their profits.

I regret that I purchased this HP product from Best Buy. If I had ordered it from Amazon, I would have received a full refund, or whatever it took to resolve these issues. I really wonder if an equivalent machine from Sony, Toshiba, or Apple would have been a better choice. It does seem to me that the corporate cultures of these other companies are more geared to upholding their reputations and being more customer centered.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 4
Message 16 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joel

Totally agree with the lack of ownership view and its all about the profit margins. I purchased a new Envy with 8.1 installed. First one had no working fingerprint reader and I got to wait another month to get the replacement from China. At least the Authentec Simplepass product works on my HP Windows 7 notebook. This version 8.0 (no developer name visible for good reason) could have been written by first graders. The entire user interface is almost unuseable and the product doesn't work well with any browser and eventually stops working till reboot. Having a product with a hardware capability that has no supported software normally is embarassing but not to HP. And their phone support is non existent. I spent two hours with 3 techs trying to get a simple answer to "will version 6 work with windows 8.1, and all three times I was put on hold and they never came back nor did they call me back. HP stands for have profit and that's about it.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 17 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After upgrading my dv6 to Windows 8.1 I have the same SimplePass fingerprint reader malfunction (i.e. does not function properly after initial log-in). Has HP provided a solution yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 18 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI ,

I just bought HP Envy 15 j127tx and running windows 8.1.

I am unable to use HP simple pass to log on to windows. Simple pass isnt at all showing the windows logon screen using finger print reader. Please tell me how can I work the finger print reader to logon to windows using HP simple pass.

Regards,

Khurram

Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 19 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this very same issue and I just got my laptop Feb 28 2014. I got HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC.
Never got HP simplepass to work for websites nor logging onto windows. It makes me logon with my password and use my fingerprint.
Would love to know the answer to this too.

I have windows 8.1 64 bit

I tried the hp support assistant and troubleshooting the fingerprinter, a hard reset, until I uninstalled  hp simplepass. When I did I was able to sign in to wondows using my fingerprint but that's all I can do. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 20 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same or simular problems with HP SimplePass on my HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-jo1odx Notebook purchased in August 2013. For example  I unselected "windows log on" recently by mistake and cannot re select it. Therfore I am unable to use simple pass to log onto my computer. This happened about three  months after I upgraded to windows 8.1. I do not know if it is related to this upgrade or not. 

Also the update feature has never worked in part because there is no menu selection for this.

In addition the HP site for this Notebook model for  driver download support has nothing regarding HP Simple Pass. Even though HP trouble shooting for HP simple pass says it should be there.

There are several feature identified in the help menu which are not present in the application management page of this soft ware.

The search bar is said to be in the lower left corner of the application page but is in the upper left corner.

Select Catagory buttton  identified in help menu does not exist.

The print all Web cards feature does not exist.

The check for updates menu slection does not exist. 

The "Click AuthenTec Store to start shopping." menu feature does not exist.

"Select How to Use Quicklaunch to watch a demonstration video that will assist you with using the QuickLaunch feature."

This feature does not exist.

There are other  features missing as well.  I believe most of these problems have existed since i purchased this Notebook in August 2013.  The inconsistancies in the software discouraged me from using this program  for the first 4 months.  I eventually started using it and  then the  problems became more apparent. Which I still ignored until  I could no longer   use simple pass to log into the computer. In trying to fix this problem,  I became aware of this thread and after takng the actions in this thread still no success at fixing the problems mentioned above. So I to am very  frustrated and angry  at HP for lousy support. They could at least make available a page of information describing the problem and the game plan for a fix.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation