cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 21 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jim,

Like me, you have every reason to be dissatisfied with HP's response to the SimplePass issue. I'm contacted Girard Gibbs LLP, a law firm that specializes in class action lawsuits, and suggested that they file claims against HP, SimplePass, Microsoft, Best Buy, and any other third parties. This is a perfect class action matter because (1) we paid additional money for the fingerprint scanner function, (2) we spent additional wasted time and effort to attempt to resolve this issue, (3) HP has not taken ownership of the problem, nor has any other party, (4) We've been waiting for over 5 months for a software update.

Apparently, HP has not recognized how important it is to keep their customers satisfied. I think that legal actions may help to get that nmessage across to them.

At least, taking that action is self-empowering and helps to offset all the frustrations with this issue. Try contacting http://www.girardgibbs.com/contact/ yourself. The more complaints, the greater liklihood that a class action lawsuit will be filed.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
42 30 4 11
Message 22 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This message is for everyone who is experiencing SimplePass issues with Windows 8.1.

Jeff Christopher, Executive Customer Relations at Hewlett-Packard Company Corporate offices contacted me personally after I had attempted for five (5) months to get HP to resolve this issue. I was referred to an HP Escalations Team Case Manager who offered me the following options:

# 01 - Repair my computer without charge. This requires shipping the machine back to them and the possability that I might lose data if they need to restore the OS. I would also be without the computer.

# 02 - Give me a free 3-year extended warranty on my present computer which includes in-home service on certain components, but not the motherboard, and accidental damage coverage.

# 03 - Give me an equivalent model new HP laptop computer with 3-year extended warranty including in-home service and accidental damage coverage. This requires returning my old computer to them AFTER I transfer programs and data files to the new machine. It was suggested that I go to the HP Online Store and browse available models. They also indicated they might be willing to make minor upgrades if my exact specifications are no longer available.

I feel certain that these same choices would and should be available to ANYONE who has also had these same very frustrating and annoying problems. After all, we all paid an additional amount for the SimplePass software and fingerprint scanner hardware and have every right to expect that it would work with all versions of Windows 8.

If, like I have, you have also made multiple attempts to have this issue resolved by HP, Best Buy, Microsoft, or any other third party, without success, try contacting Jeff Christopher directly at Help@HP.com.

I hope that this may finally resolve this issue, and that everyone receives the same fair and equal treatment that I have been offered.

I must also commend HP for finally stepping up, taking ownership, and going the extra mile to resolve this issue. As a result, my opinion of HP, and my loyalty to them, has greatly increased.

Cheers,

Joel

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 23 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Joel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 4
Message 24 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a follow up to my earlier post on the Simple Pass problems, even though I could never get an HP support person to answer my question about Version 6.0 working on my HP Envy, I did uninstall Ver 8 and install Ver 6 with better success than what came on the system. Ver 6.0 is working for the most part. There are times when it falls asleep like Ver 8 did all the time but I was able to import my passwords from my HP DV6 laptop and at least its functioning. Here's hoping HP finds a better fingerprint reading product very soon as Ver 8 is absolutely useless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 25 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ectophile wrote:

I just purchased an HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC running Windows 8.0 about 5 days ago. I was able to configure Simple Pass, scan and add digits, and associate passwords. Then I upgraded to Windows 8.1. I am now unable to open SimplePass, add additional finger scans, or change the settings since updating yesterday to Windows 8.1.

I tried to re-install the program as a repair function. It does function in allowing and accepting a fingerprint scan at logon. When I click on the program in my start menu it begins to open, loads databases, then disappears. 

I then uninstalled Simple Pass and re-installed it after downloading it again from HP at this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-122818-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

During installation, there was a message that I was missing True API (x64), which the installer located and re-installed and then installed http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63224.exe

After successfully re-installing Simple Pass Version 6.0.100.276 I re-booted my computer. However the program still is not fully functional. I still can't open SimplePass, add additional finger scans, or change the settings. I am able to login to Windows with a fingerprint scan, but it doesn't prompt me for scans when I login at various web sites.

I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ectophile

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 26 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why is this a "solution"?  While I'm frustrated that the fingerprint reader is no longer working after the W8.1 upgrade, losing my computer or buying a new one at this point just won't work for me.  I'm an on-line student, with all of my software and documentation on this laptop which I need with me at all times.  

A solution involves correcting the problem, not finding a way to ignore the problem.  I'll keep checking for a real solution, every optomistic I guess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 27 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When asked in a chat, HP recommended I upgrade from 8 to 8.1.  I asked if simple pass was compatible with the upgrade and Firefox. The told me it was.  I did and it wasnt.  I call HP and they want to chagre me for a solution even though I was under warranty.  So I went to chat.  After several furstrating chats with HP who first told me 8.1, Simple Pass and Firefox were compatible ended up saying OH, we guess it is only compatible with IE and not Fire Fox (my browser of choise).  Please back up your data, restore you system to its original state and reload all your applications.  Sorry about that.

How sad it that level of support?   I hate that HP has forced me to use IE with no reasonable way to go back to a working system.  Does anyone have any experience loging onto secure web sites using Firefox v28, Simple Pass either 6.xx or 8.xx run under Windows 8.1?  I have done all the uninstall and reinstalls everyone both in forums and HP suggested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 28 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've read the information below.  I have my ENVY dv7 setup for automatic updates for both HP and Windows.  I can't understand why this issue hasn't been fixed yet!  My HP SimplePass only works at logon.  No icon on the toolbar either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 29 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My hardrive broke after 2 years owning HP envy, computer had been great prior to that.  I had a new hardrive installed and they restored my files but did the upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1.  I used simplepass all the time for logging on to multiple websites prior to the upgrade. 

I too can use the fingerprint scanner to log on to the computer but not for anything else despite downloading several "fixes" and "updates" from the HP website. 

It is June 2014, I see comments with this same issue dating back to last year.  What is the problem with getting this fixed? 

HP Moderator of this forum--can you please provide an update on whether or not there is a way for simplepass to work with Windows 8.1? 

We are all wasting a lot of time and energy on this problem.  We are not all computer programmers and did not buy your product so we could spend our time fishing the internet for solutions that dont exist.  We are losing faith in your brand.

Please reply

Thank you

Kris from MI

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 4
Message 30 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP has moved on.  They won't address this other than by getting another product for their next fingerprint reader. I can't tell whether the mouse pad on my Envy is worse than the fingerprint reader or vice versa. They are both horrible implemenations on a laptop.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation