cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BoulderBill
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

Software for "Other Devices" in Device Manager in a fresh install

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv4-1145go
Microsoft Windows Vista

Having rebuilt the above laptop with new motherboard and hard drive, I loaded a fresh copy of Vista using an ISO installation disk and my COA. All seemed to go perfectly.

But, I cannot get connected to my router, either by LAN or wireless. The Realtek RTL 8101 E Network Adapter driver seems to be correctly installed, but the Network Controller and several "Other Devices" , for example: Base System Device, SM Bus Controller, etc. need drivers.

My dilemma is that I do not know what driver(s) to search for.

In addition, while searching HP's websites, I have not been able to locate the drivers offered for this Pavilion model. The websites just keep asking me to key in the model number, then display the picture of this model and again ask for the model number. Have the locations of the drivers changed on HP websites?

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
127,742 117,920 19,178 29,315
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
BoulderBill
Author
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Many, many thanks for your quick and thorough response. I will start in on this tomorrow and post the outcome. I noticed in my wandering around the Forum that you are The Man when it comes to tracking down drivers.

Be back later.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Bill.

If you need any further assistance finding drivers, I will be happy to help you.

0 Kudos
BoulderBill
Author
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

First things first. I see from your emblem that we share our connection to the USCG. i was in the Reserves back in the late 50s thru the late 60s. OCS at New London, trained on the Yorktown, before she sank in L.I. Sound. ACDUTRA at Curtis Bay; what a garden spot.

On today's issues, I am making progress, but still don't have wireless. I do have LAN connection to my router. In "Other Devices" in Device Manager, I still have Network Controller listed, along with two "Unknown Devices". I will deal with those two after my WiFi is working.

Is there any other acton I  should take other than reloading the wireless driver? I am presuming the Network Controller mentoned above is the wireless adapter.

Great progress, so far.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I went to OCS at "Yorktown U," in February 1977.  Got a reserve commission like you did, and then integrated into the regulars.

They moved OCS from the USCGA to Yorktown sometime in the '60's, and now it is back at the USCGA in New London.

We trained on the 125' USCGC Cuyahoga, which sank in a collision in Chesapeake Bay with the loss of several crew members and OC's.  That happened a year after I graduated.

I got the wireless drivers from the parts list for your model.  My guess is they have a different WLAN card in your model than the parts lists says it does.

Please do the following steps and I will figure out what the problem is and post the link to the correct WLAN driver you need...also do the same thing for any of the other devices you need drivers for, and we will wrap this thing up.

Go to the device manager, click on the network controller device, and then click on the Details tab at the top of the network controller device window.

Now you see a Property drop down list, and it is defaulted to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the second item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

BoulderBill
Author
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul for the quick response. The requested Hardware IDs are:

For the Network Controller: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086&REV_00

For the first Unknown Device: ACPI\HPQ0004

For the second Unknown Device: HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_103C137E&REV_1002

I opened the cover over the wireless card in my laptop and it is an Intel model 512AN_MMW. It is described as an Intel WiFi Link 5100. The HP part number is SPS 480985-001 0C.

I was unable to locate a driver download either on the HP sites or the Intel sites, and am reluctant to download from a  third party site.

Can you provide a search string that can be entered in Google that will find the drivers? I also have an HP 6700 laptop, and would like to be able to rebuild it in the future; and have access to the drivers.

You have a better memory than I. It was the Cuyahoga, not Yorktown; and Chesapeake Bay not LI Sound. Yorktown VA is  where the OCS school moved to after it's earlier stay in New London.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to be of assistance.

Try the wifi driver directly from Intel.  You want the first or second driver depending on if you are running Vista 32 or 64 bit. Then download and install the first driver on either webpage.  You don't need the software if you let Windows manage the wireless connections.

14.3.03/9/2012Windows Vista, 32-bitDownload
14.3.03/9/2012Windows Vista, 64-bitDownload

ACPI\HPQ0004:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3688870&swItemId=ob_81492_2&swEnvOid=2096

HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-61697-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Semper Paratus!

BoulderBill
Author
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the last of the downloads, yesterday. Before installing them, I ran Windows Update using my LAN connection, and 118 updates were downloaded. They updated the wireless driver and the other 2 devices, so that in Device Manager there is not an exclamation point in sight. The machine is fully functional.

Thank you, again, Paul.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is great news!

Glad everything works now.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation