cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Spectre problems - Trackpad / Keyboard

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4193dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased the HP Spectre x360 13-4193dx. I have been looking forward to getting this laptop for a few weeks, but I am having a lot of annoyances with this laptop… The biggest mistake may have been purchasing this laptop ‘HP authorized’ refurbished. Upon arrival I updated all the drivers, ran HP assistant, and let windows update.

I am looking for feedback and advice from fellow Spectre owners to see if I can get this laptop to a satisfactory condition. Here is a list of some of the problems I have encountered:

• This trackpad is almost unusable for me. I wish to move the cursor with one finger, then click using my other hand’s finger, but the trackpad goes into two-finger scrolling mode and rejects the click. I can click with one hand, but for rapid tasks I would like to be able to click as if there was a true button. I’ve explored all the trackpad options, and there appears to be no way to correct this. Furthermore, the trackpad seems to completely ignore clicking frequently. I can try keep trying to click and nothing will happen.
  • The keyboard seems to stick when the buttons haven’t been pressed in a while. Especially the tab, control, shift, and space bar. There is an extremely loud snap/crunch when these buttons are pressed for the first time, after which they remain quiet. This is quite embarrassing. I haven’t seen anyone reporting this issue.
  • Trackpad is loose, it wobbles, and makes excessive noise. I have seen the electrical tape modification/fix for this. Guess I will have to open up the laptop and correct this.
  • It seems that the processor slows down frequently without user input. I have been installing many programs (setting up laptop) and the programs will come almost to a halt, and the CPU shows it is running at 0.5 GHz. If I move he mouse around, it will resume at a normal speed (2.5 GHz). I have to do this every few minutes to keep the laptop running at a normal speed. The laptop otherwise moves slower than my 6 year old Acer. I was looking for something powerful, but this has been a big disappointment for a 6th gen i7 core. This seems to affect WiFi speeds, read/write speeds as well. I can’t for example let files transfer from my external hard drive to the laptop because it is unbelievably slow (read speeds were 0.5 Mbps when I left the laptop unattended). Same with internet downloads. I came back to the laptop and estimated download time was hours long, but when I move the cursor it sped up and finished in 15 minutes.
  • The laptop did not come with the soft case. I was hoping to use it to prevent scratches during transportation. Should he refurbished unit come with this? If not, is it available for purchase?
  • I have had a blue screen of death, with error “KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED”. Anyone had a similar issue?
  • A minor annoyance, but has anyone been able to completely remove the Synaptics icon from the task bar? I can go into the settings and select ‘don’t display task bar icon’. The setting will keep until I restart, then the icon returns to the task bar.
  • Similarly, can the Bang & Olufsen icon be removed without uninstalling? I don’t see a setting for this one.
  • The charging conenctor unplugs itself over time. Even sitting on my desk with minimal movement it worked itself almost half way out.

I love this laptop's beautiful design and specs, but I the trackpad/keyboard issues may drive me insane if I can't correct them.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to fix the Synaptics icon removal from the task bar. The problem was actually that none of the settings would remain after a restart (didn't notice until later). The fix was to change a registry value as follows:

Open up regedit.exe

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install

Note this is LOCAL MACHINE, not CURRENT USER.

Look for a key in that Install folder called DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

Double click and change the value to 0

Source:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-synaptics-touc...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation