Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jamiethehornsby Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Spectre x360 Battery Life and heat

HP Xpectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the i7, QHD version of the Spectre convertible laptop two days before Christmas. Overall, I think it's a great product - which makes it even sadder that I'm thinking of returning it.

The advertisements said 11 hours of battery life. Now, obviously that's not going to be accurate for normal everyday usage, but the salespeople in the store (and common sense) said that it would probably still get at least an eight hour, more like nine hour battery life on a single charge. Nope! FOUR HOURS. That's ridiculous. That's just over a third of the advertised battery life.

I thought (and still think) it might be an issue with the battery itself, as the computer runs really really hot - it's basically impossible to put this thing on my lap at times. Which is annoying. But I did the HP Support Assistant battery check and it said it was fine, and then I did the BIOS battery check and it passed. And then the HP staff member I was chatting with on the support system had the gall to say "4 hours is actually really good". NO, IT IS NOT REALLY GOOD. Similar laptops in this category get about 7 hours of real time use. I bought this computer in large part because of that puported long battery life, and all the reviews said that the battery life was pretty great - none mentioned being four hours. Were reviewers sent different computers?

And this four hours is not playing video games on full brightness settings. No. This four hours is on 25% brightness, power saver mode on, battery saver mode on, doing nothing but word processing and light browsing on firefox. No streaming video. No nothing.

This is really really frustrating. Can anyone give me any help, or should I get my money back? I love the concept and the look of this computer so much, and it'll be a real shame to get rid of it, but I feel totally cheated by HP here.

3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Hi there @jamiethehornsby

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that your HP Spectre x360 Notebook PC is overheating.

I would like to address the overheating before dealing with the battery. You said that you had run battery test's and they passed.

Do you have the Notebook ventilated? 

What do you sit your Notebook on when you are using it?

Have you done any updates using Windows Updates or the HP Support Assistant?

Here is a document for you called Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating.  Please follow the troubleshooting steps to see if it reduces the heat (and in turn that should help with the battery). 

Updating your Notebook BIOS has been the solution for some, stopping apps from starting when the Notebook powers on for others. Some people have found that the Accepted Solution was simply doing another Windows Update.

Some of the steps that you need to perform are in the following headings:

Updating your Notebook computer BIOS - This document provides step by step instructions for you to follow. 

Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes: Services that you do not use (other than Microsoft services) can be shut down to minimize CPU usage.

Other steps that may help are under:

Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat

Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean: This is very important to make sure you do regularly. 

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also.

If you require further assistance, I will absolutely continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting, if there were any changes, what steps you had tried and your Spectre x360 Model Number. 

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
jamiethehornsby Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

- I've installed every windows update and every update through the HP support assistant - including a BIOS update recently.

- The computer is either used on a table (propped up when I can, but it's kinda hard when the vent in on the bottom on the computer) or on my lap when required.
-I've already seen that article - it's not a dust issue. The computer is only a few weeks old and it had this problem right from the start.

What else do you recommend, because nothing's been of any help so far.

0 Kudos
16157 201 832
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

@jamiethehornsby

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation