Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 18 (24,292 Views)

Static/Crackling from both speakers and headphones

Product Name: Spectre x360 convertible
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a brand new HP Spectre x360 ultrabook. There is a very concerning static/crackling interference type noise from the speakers and headphones while playing music (spotify) or youtube videos. First I thought it sounded like the speakers were blown out, but since this noise is also present in the headphones I have to assume it's an internal issue. I really want to continue using this laptop, but if I can't get this fixed, I may have to consider returning it. If such a major issue could exist, I don't even want to know how many less noticeable issues may be lurking. Please help me stop this annoying sound so I can use my laptop for such a basic function as playing music!

Retired
Message 2 of 18 (24,201 Views)

Re: Static/Crackling from both speakers and headphones

[ Edited ]

Hi @ejc16,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you are running Windows 10 and you have a crackling/static  noise from the speakers.

Did this  come with Windows 10 installed or did you do an upgrade to Windows 10?

Have you done all your Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant ?

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Here is a link to Open the Windows Update troubleshooter that may help find additional drivers.   Although it lists Windows 7 it does work in Windows 10.

Once launched, it should show a screen like this.

windows updater.png

Use the second option "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", it should lead to a force update of 'Windows Updates' that may not be automatically being applied, that could fix some of these issues.

If you connect external speakers do you have the same issue?

If you would like further assistance please provide your exact model of HP Spectre X 360 Ultrabook and any additional details.

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up icon below.

If this resolved the issue for you, please advise people by choosing solution provided.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

Tutor
Message 3 of 18 (24,182 Views)

Try this:

Go to Bang & Olufsen Control Panel
> Advanced Configuration
> Disable "Multiple Audio Play Sources" (Should be Enabled by default)

That did resolved most issues for me except the un-plug AC static noise and pop.. Dunno if it might work for you.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 18 (23,722 Views)

Hello,

I have the same exact issue. It usually happens when I am on YouTube. Refreshing the page helps for the first minute or so. Headphones have the same problem. I have tried the solution you provided but it says "troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found... Service registration is missing or corrupt"

Please help. It's a brand new laptop (installed Windows 10 automatically when I got it)

Thanks,

-S

Retired
Message 5 of 18 (23,693 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @namilas,

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you are also having an issue with static coming from the headphones and speakers at the same time.

You stated that this happens when you are on YouTube and refreshing the page helps for a minute or so but then it returns.  You ran the Windows troubleshooter but were informed it could  not automatically  fix all the issues, " Service registration is missing or corrupt"

Does it only happen on YouTube or do you have the same issue when watching a movie from a DVD or from your notebook?

Have you checked for viruses and malware?  MS Malicious Software Removal Tool

First I would try to repair the corrupted file. The following  process will have  it  scan for corrupted files and try to repair them.

You will need to have administrator rights to perform this step.

Right click the on the Windows logo ( old start button) in the lower left corner.

Choose command prompt admin.

Type sfc /scannow and press enter.

This will take some time to complete so please be patient.

Restart your notebook.

If that step was unable to correct the issue I would try a refresh. This will reinstall the operating system but provides the option to retain your files.  Here are two links to assist you with that process.

Refresh is part of reset in Windows 10  (from Windows.microsoft.com)

How to Refresh Windows 10 (from Windows10Forums)

Should you like further assistance please provide your exact model of HP notebook. 

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this resolved your difficulty please choose accepted solution to aid others.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

Tutor
Message 6 of 18 (22,870 Views)

I am also having this problem, I am an audiofile and bought the HP Envy 17n13a, the one with the aluminium surface. I've done all the things you suggested above. I've gone back to W8.1 as well. Still the same problem. I use Tidal Hifi and Youtube and Facebook video. Basically anything that's streamed has crackling sounds through headphones and the speakers. It's driving me insane. I know its the Bang & Olufsen software because when I turn the sound enhancement off, the problem just dissappears. I will be contacting HP on Monday. If there isn't a fix soon I will want my money back... I am REALLY ticked off

Tutor
Message 7 of 18 (22,450 Views)

My laptop was sent to HP to get to the bottom of the issue, they fitted a new main board and I've had no problems since. It's a hardware issue, at least in my case

Tutor
Message 8 of 18 (22,374 Views)

Unfortunately the problem is still showing itself after sending to HP, it doesn't happen too often now, but it's still there. HP need to contact Bang & Olufsen to improve the drivers for dealing with streamed content

Student
Message 9 of 18 (21,532 Views)

how do you access this control panel

Tutor
Message 10 of 18 (11,548 Views)

I posted a reply in another thread, detailing the steps I had taken to eliminate the problem, basically...I installed every driver update HP had available on the support site. That seemed to resolve the issue. But today, I discovered my assessment was premature. The crackling is back. However, I'm starting the believe the problem lies with Google Chrome, or some conflict between the HP system and Chrome. I say with HP, because this doesn't happen on my other Windows 10 machine, only on this HP Spectre 360. 

Needless to say, this is my last HP computer. This experience, and the lack of response from HP, has been extremely frustrating. I'm going to try reinstalling Chrome, but, since the problem is so widespread with users, I'm not too optimistic about it resolving the issue. I have a feeling I'll be replacing this laptop this year. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation