Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
10 7 0 8
Message 1 of 28
Flag Post

Switchable graphics not working on brand new DV6tqe 1920 x 1080 display?

HP Recommended

I just got a new HP pavillion DV6qe with the 1920x1080 display . I can't make the ATI graphics card work. It shows in the device manager but the tray icon always says intel HD graphics (ATI 6770 driver 8.830.6.2000 date 4/12/11, and mobile intel HD graphics driver 8.830.6.2000 date 4/12/11) . In the catalyst control center, there is no option to automatically switch GPU when running on battery. When I unplug the computer, there is no pop up asking me if I like to switch the GPU. last month the same model laptop  but with the lower display (1366x768) and the switchable graphics worked fine. I see another user complained about a smiliar problem with the 1920x1080 models.

Is this a problem or is it supposed to be like that? Thanks.

here's how my "configure switchable graphics" catalyst center looks likecatalyst.JPG

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Level 2
5 5 0 16
Message 2 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have this model and I chatted with HP assistant AND talked to them online (then allow remote access) without any luck. They told me it's a driver/software malfunction.

I hope this is fix soon or else I'm going to return the laptop.

----------------

hp pavilion dv6tqe 6100 series
i7-2630QM
2GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M Graphics
640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
15.6" Full HD HP Anti-glare LED Display (1920 x 1080)
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got my laptop yesterday with the same specs as you guys, i got so excited and happy that it works flawlessly, until i tried to play games, and found out that its nto using radeon 6770. please please please, fix this issue. i really dont want to return this, but if i have to, i will!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
88 82 2 41
Message 4 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too, had the same issue.  it wouldn't switch to Radeon no matter what I or tech support tried.  They spent many hours dialed into my DV6, without success.   I ended up returning it for a refund.  I await a fix, as I really like the laptop with the HD screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 5 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, everybody.

I am looking to purchase a new laptop and the Pavilion dv6tqe (with the 1920x1080 display) was amongst my first choices. However, reading the reviews on the HP Store, I came across a post from Zak0175 complaining about this issue.

What I would like to know if this is a general issue with all models equiped with the 1920x1080 display, or if it only happened to a few unlucky ones (maybe models within a certain serial number range)?

I would also like to know what has been HP's response to this issue and if they have tried to solve it.

Thank you all in advance, and I really hope you can have your machines repaired/exchanged.

Cheers!

Marv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
88 82 2 41
Message 6 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP's response has been fruitless.   while their intentions are good, execution is poor.   I've wasted many hours with tech support over this issue, without resolution.   There IS NO FIX, at this time.   No work around.   Nothing.   If you have certain apps that for proper operation require the Radeon, it may not kick in and there's nothing you can do about it.   Other apps apparently work ok with the auto switching.   At the end of my last, lengthy tech call, the second level tech suggested I send in for repair, my one day old unit.   You can guess what I told him.   🙂   He understood.   I sent it back for a refund...  there's no point in sending back a unit that HP has no fix for.   ALL the new DV6/7's have this graphics issue.   It bites anyone trying to run certain apps.

Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 7 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your reply: it's too bad there is no answer or fix for this. Also, are you saying this problem occurs in all dv6/7 models, even in the ones with 1366x768 displays? If this is the case, do you know of other forums where this issue might be under discussion?

Las question, does disabling the Intel HD card or leaving the Ati one On at all times have any impact on the pb?

BTW, after I read this thread, I contacted Sales with the following message:

"Hello. I'm interested in purchasing the customizable dv6tqe laptop with the 1920x1080 screen in my next trip to the US (in a month from now). However, I have read customer reviews and found a thread on the HP forums in which several users reported an issue while switching to the ATI graphics card in models equipped with 1920x1080 screens: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Switchable-graphics-not-working-on-brand-new... I would like to know if this issue is present in all models equipped with 1920x1080 screens and whether it was resolved or not.Thanks in advance."

And this is what Sales replied (I bolded the text myself):

"Thank you for contacting HP Home & Home Office Store.

I am glad to know that you are interested with the HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition Series and are inquiring if the switchable graphics card will work with the 1080p resolution screen. I am sorry if you are having second thoughts due to this matter. Despite of this, I would still want to thank you for choosing HP. We aim to provide you quality products, service, and satisfactory purchase experience.

We actually did not receive any formal complaint about this. However, rest assured that HP is doing best to improve the PCs' performance. I have checked it here and the switchable graphics card option is not available. Take note that product offers, promotions, and component availabilities are subject to change without notice.

If you have additional comments, please reply to this email, or contact us at 1-888-222-0029 between 7:00 AM - 2:00 AM EST, seven days a week."

The third sentence doesn't make much sense to me, but you get the overall gist.

Oh, BTW, I'm curious: did you purchase another laptop after your refund? If so, would you mind telling me which one? I'm looking for a powerful notebook and I'm between this one and the Satellite 3DV12X (not so crazy about the 3D part, but a powerful machine as well).

Take care,

Marv

Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 8 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nevermind my question about other threads: I found a lenghty one on notebookreview with some of your contributions, :Wink:

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
18 16 0 3
Message 9 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yah, I noticed the sketchy switching issue just recently. My 21 days are up so I have to deal with the laptop which otherwise has been fine.

However, if I continue to have problems with games and HP is not willing to get AMD to give them new drivers that allow MANUAL switching, then I will escalate this.

Hear me HP. I will call the BBB. I demand discrete GPU use so software such as Photoshop don't get gimped. The setup on 1366x768 model where I the user could choose made more sense than this dynamic garbage. Apparently your software is not as smart as users.

Highlighted
Level 4
88 82 2 41
Message 10 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If HP won't refund your money, call your credit card company to start a chargeback.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation