Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My clickpad stopped working the other day. I checked driver and im getting a code 10 stating "device cant start". I tried uninstalled the driver and installing driver from synaptics website and from hp website and still keep getting the same problem. Any ideas on what to do? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Ron5x,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your click pad stopped working the other day. You download and installed the driver from the  Synaptics website. to no avail. Here is a link to  Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers, you will note that, unless otherwise specified, HP does not support software that did not originally come with the computer, because the product is changed to a configuration that was not designed by HP. You can check the software and driver page for your system or run the The HP Support Assistant to help with updates.  If you require further assistance, would you provide the exact model of HP computer you have  and the operating system you are running.  How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I am experiencing this same issue.  The built in mouse has stopped working on my 3 month old computer.  

Synaptics SM Bus ClickPad Device Status:

"This device cannot start (Code 10)

{Device Timeout}

The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired."

I tried to update the driver, but there is not a new one available.  I am going to try to rollback the current driver now.

HP Recommended
I get code 10 as well. Hp directed me to uninstall and reinstall the synaptics driver, which I downloaded directly from the hp.com website. This sometimes results in the clickpad working and sometimes not. when the process is successful the clickpad only works for a few hours to a few days before the whole process must be repeated.

The clickpad not working appears to be a problem for many users of hp products, however rather than fixing a recurring issue hp is only interested in warranty info or credit card info in order to "help" me fix the issue. why would I pay to have faulty software fixed when the problem is not unique to my laptop but rather prevalent among many hp customers? way to go hp, keep producing a fantastic product and stellar customer service. this will ensure you a top spot in an already competitive marketplace.
HP Recommended

Hi @jvh74 

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and  suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you are getting a code 10 on your TouchPad. HP advised you to uninstall and reinstall the driver which corrects the issue for a short time but then it reappears.

As I do not know your exact model of HP notebook or your Operating System I  would suggest you try rolling back the driver to see if it  is more stable.

As you did state you would need to pay for phone support I gathered you are out of warranty. 

Was there any particular change before this started to occur.

Have you checked for compatability issues if you have upgraded your Operating System?

Have you noticed if you are running a particular program when this happens?

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.