cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
carolanivey
Level 3
5 2 0 24
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Synaptics touchpad doesn't save scroll settings after Windows 10 upgrade

Pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the Windows 10 upgrade (upgraded from 7), the Synaptics Touchpad does not save scroll settings. Every time I shut down and restart the machine the next day, I have to go into settings to re-enable touchpad scrolling. It's always unchecked on restart. Please advise on how to fix this!

7 REPLIES 7
aliert
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you need to uninstall the drivers for touchpad Synaptics - control panel - uninstall programs - Synaptics... - reset your computer then open hp website with drivers to your laptop model, download  synaptics drivers for windows 7, install drivers, restart computer, open beer in the meantime and enjoy scroll  works perfectly now with google chrome, word etc. but still doesn't work with microsoft edge.  Problem in 99% solved 🙂

0 Kudos
carolanivey
Level 3
5 2 0 24
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers was the first thing I tried - didn't work.  I didn't try the beer option, though - maybe I'll try again with the beer. 😉

0 Kudos
XxHaimBondxX
Level 2
29 18 0 4
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same thing here. The reverse two finger scrolling is killing me. Help anyone!

Perhaps this workaround I figured out would work for some:  You can just save a profile. Although the settings still reset to default, you can quickly load your previous settings from a previously saved profile. Since I am not planning to shut down my laptop too often and hoping Windows 10 fixed the random crashes I had with Windows 8.1, this should be fine for me.

missouriwold
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have to reset touchpad settings after 10 upgrade, every time I log in. This is very upseting to me.

0 Kudos
mrkgee
Level 2
10 10 1 4
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My solution, copied from one of many threads regarding this problem -

You have Synaptics Port Touchpad driver installed via Windows Update. Here's is a work around until a fully Win10 compatible driver is issued.

Win+X/ Device Manager/ Mice and other pointing devices/ Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad. R click/ Update Driver Software/ Browse my computer for driver software / Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Select the top or latest version of Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible Touchpad Version 19.0.12.95 (7/15/2015) / Next and driver will install automatically. Reboot to finish install. Go to Settings/ Mouse Properties/ Synaptics Device Settings to access Touchpad settings, adjust to your liking/ Apply/ OK. Advise to tick 'Static tray icon in taskbar' for easy access to the settings tab until you're completely happy.

This 19.0.12.95 is the latest one on the HP site for my model (your # may vary) and it installs 2 versions. The one Windows Update uses is the same date Port Touchpad version but the 'Compatible' one is installed at the same time. You can tell the difference immediately because it allows you to create a profile. The old 8.1 version did not and neither does the 'Compatible' one. The touchpad setting screens look the same as before (you'll notice the new one looks different and 3 finger press opens Cortana).

Why do I consider this a workaround ? Because the 3-finger press app setting, one finger EdgeMotion and demo vids do not work. But at least you can set the scrolling, pinch zoom, speed and sensitivity to your liking and if you reboot, you'll see the system tray icon and your preferences have stuck. Hope this helps somebody !

0 Kudos
KenLong
Level 2
20 19 0 5
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is not just an issue with upgrading to Win 10. I have a brand new Win 10 laptop and my touchpad settings wont hold. I have set my preferences in a profile so I can load it easily, but would like to see a fix for this. 

mrkgee
Level 2
10 10 1 4
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Odd, I also have a brand new Windows 10 HP laptop 15-f305dx which came with Synaptics driver 19.0.12.94 . Neither I or a Limited User even needed a profile. We each have own settings which are retained on our own sign in, so working perfectly.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation