cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchpad issues

HP Chromebook
Chrome OS

Hello! This afternoon the touchpad on my chromebook decided it didn't particularly want to work anymore. I looked up a few different things and was given a list of things I could try, the last step was powerwashing my computer, which I did and still the problem was not fixed. I could buy a mouse but that's not a realistic solution for me because I do a lot of work when no flat surface is available. Is there anything I could do? I mean, my computer is only two years old, I really don't want to have to get a new one. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 9
1,170 1,167 69 146
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchpad issues

@brockwayk wrote:

Hello! This afternoon the touchpad on my chromebook decided it didn't particularly want to work anymore. I looked up a few different things and was given a list of things I could try, the last step was powerwashing my computer, which I did and still the problem was not fixed. I could buy a mouse but that's not a realistic solution for me because I do a lot of work when no flat surface is available. Is there anything I could do? I mean, my computer is only two years old, I really don't want to have to get a new one. Thanks!

Hi Brockwayk,

Kindly try the following suggestions or fixes:

Press Esc key several times

1. Tap the Esc key several times.
2. Drumroll your fingers across the touchpad for a few seconds.

Check of the touchpad is responding.

Hard Reboot your Chromebook
Perform a hard reboot to unlock the Chromebook. Follow these steps to perform a hard reboot:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards.
  3. Disconnect the AC power adapter and remove the battery.

NOTE: Some models does not have removable battery. Do not attempt to remove the battery in such models.

1. Press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds.
  2. Reconnect the AC power adapter, but do not connect the battery.
  3. Turn on the computer.

If the reboot was successful, power off the Chromebook and reconnect the battery.

Try with an external mouse and see if the pointer moves
Connect an external mouse to your chromebook to check if the mouse pointer is moving.

• If the external mouse pointer moves, there is a problem with the internal settings or accounts.
  • If the mouse pointer does not move, you might have to reset your chromebook.

Login as a Guest and check if touchpad is working

1. Turn off your chromebook and then turn it back on.

2. At the login screen select Browse as Guest.

3. This will allow you to run the chromebook without any special settings that might have been added after the fact.

4. Try to use the touchpad now.

• If it works there is some broken setting or component in your regular login. To fix this, you might have to delete and re- create the user account or reset your chromebook.

What to do if the Guest account is disabled:

The option to browse as a guest is enabled by default. If the guest account has been disabled, use the following steps to enable or disable guest browsing on your device:

1. Sign in to the device using the Owner account.

2. Click the status area of the taskbar, and then select Settings.

3. In the Users section of the Settings page, click Manage other users.

graphic

4. To allow guest browsing, click to place a check mark next to Enable guest browsing. To disable guest browsing, click to remove the check mark.

graphic

To exit a guest session, click the status area of the taskbar. Click the power button to turn off the computer, or click Exit guest to exit the guest session and return to the sign-in screen.

graphic

Hard reset or EC Reset the Chromebook

Perform an Embedded Controller (EC) reset to unfreeze the laptop:

• Press and hold the power and refresh graphicbuttons for three seconds.

The laptop turns off, and then back on.

Check if the touchpad is responding now.

Perform a System Recovery on Your HP Chromebook using the Recovery media.

To install a new version of the Chrome operating system on your Chromebook from recovery media, follow these steps:

1. Turn on your Chromebook and plug in the power cord.

1. When you see the Chrome OS is missing or damaged screen, insert the recovery media.

1. Wait while Chrome verifies the integrity of the recovery media.

graphic

1. If the recovery media verification is successful, the system recovery begins. Wait for the recovery process to complete.

graphic

If you see an error message (such as An unexpected error has occurred or You are using an out-of-date Chrome OS recovery image), you may need to repeat Creating recovery media for Chromebook, or use a different USB flash drive or SD memory card. For more information about resolving these errors, refer to the Troubleshooting tips section of Recover your Chrome device (in English) from Chrome OS Help.

1. When the system recovery is complete, remove the USB flash drive or SD memory card, and wait for the Chromebook to restart.

graphic

After recovery is complete, the Chromebook needs to be set up again. Perform the initial setup process by following the steps in the HP support document Setting up your Chromebook.

Note: If all of the above didn't resolve the issue call HP for further assistance.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation