Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB wireless network adapber not working after BIOS update - can I roll-back?

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

In some parts my home I use a USB3 wireless network adapter becuase the laptop's built-in adapter doesn't have the range or speed I need. In other areas, closer to my wireless router, I do use the built-in adapter.

I've been using the Netgear A6210 USB adapter with no problems until last night.  That's when I installed a BIOS update on my system (as recommended by the HP Support Assistant). The new version is F.19 dated 11/24/2014 (according to msinfo32.exe).

The Netgear wireless adapter is no longer usable in this laptop. The system acts like the adapter is being plugged in and removed over and over -- I hear the Windows device arrival/removal sounds playing every few seconds for as long as I leave the adapter plugged in. I tried all three of the laptop's USB3 ports with the same results.

I tested the Netgear adapter with a different Win 8.1 64-bit system (not HP) today and it works fine -- but it still isn't working with this HP K025DX.  I upgraded to the lattest Netgear drivers, but that didn't help either.

Can I roll back to the previous HP BIOS on this machine? If so, how? And where can I find it?

I thought I found the previous BIOS version at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66576.html, but when I tried to install it, the updater said it wasn't compatible with my system.

BTW, I tried to roll the BIOS back with the Win+B+Power button sequence I found described elsewhere. That appeared to restore the BIOS, but according to msinfo.exe the BIOS is stilll version F.19 11/24/2014 and the wireless adapter is still acting the same way.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JimMat ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. Thanks for the great information about what you have tried and testing the Adapter, very useful information to have.

I have looked into your issue about your HP Notebook and issues with the USB Wireless adapter. You could have something in the Universal serial bus controllers that is causing an issue. Here is a link to troubleshoot USB connections. Disconnect the USB adapter and I would uninstall everything listed in the Universal serial bus controllers list. Restart the Notebook after uninstalling.

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Connect the Adapter and it should install new drivers.

Have you tried a system restore to before the issues happened?

Hope it helps you.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately they didn't help.

I did a 'system restore' to about a week ago -- no joy. I also followed the USB troubleshooting steps, again no improvement.

Other USB3 devices are working with the notebook -- a flash drive and external hard disk both work.

i'd still like to try rolling back the BIOS update, but haven't found a way to do that.

Other suggestions welcome.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JimMat

In your device manager locate the driver right click and rollback the driver.

Here is a download to make sure the USB is up to date.

Hope this works.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The download link you provided is for a HP 3005 port replicator -- is that the correct link?

I don't have a port replicator.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JimMat ,

This download- Fixes an issue where the system has complication with the USB 3.0 port. Have you tried a different port on the Notebook.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation