cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wichrau23
Level 1
13 8 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Unable to create a 'computer image' for system recovery purposes using an external drive!

HP Recommended

Just finished another very frustrating long session with HP Tech Support without a resolution to a simple problem.

This laptop is only 4 months old, but the hard drive is failing, according to constant notifications, and repeated BIOS hard drive diagnostic tests. 

I wanted to be sure that all back-up/system restore precautions were taken.  Not much to 'back-up' because the laptop is new.  The standard 'back-up' was easily done on a 4 GB flash drive.

I followed instructions for 'create a system image' in order to make a 'copy of the drives required to restore your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working' (instructions right on the page).

I wanted to create this 'system image' on an external flash drive.  First attempt at storing a system image failed because:  'the drive is not formatted with NTSF.  The G flash drive was easily formatted to NTSF.  Repeated attempts at copying now failed because:  'the drive is not a valid back-up location'  (!?).

I see absolutely no clear reason why a 'computer image' cannot be created on a flash drive that has been correctly formatted.

HP Tech Support claims that the reason for this is a 'Windows incompatibility with the program' (used to create a 'system image?).

No solution was given.  According to HP Tech Support, this is now a 'Windows software problem', which doesn't make any sense to me.

Standard CD-R data disks (the only ones I have on hand now) are not big enough: 700 MB capacity, but a DVD-R data disk, which has 4.7 GB capacity, may not be enough (especially in the future) for the creation of a 'system image'.

Since HP Tech Support is incapable of solving a straightforward problem like this, I am asking for some more experience tech geek to bring me up to speed on this whole issue of 'system image' creation, for the purpose of computer restoration, as I am hesitant to go ahead and remove the hard drive, if I haven't properly done everything to 'back-up' as much as I can.

2 REPLIES 2
wichrau23
Author
Level 1
13 8 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Again:  HP Tech Support cannot answer this question for me.

I posted the above problem onto the Windows Recovery forum also.

There are super-experienced people that view these questions.  (I meant the term 'geek' in an appreciative way:  without users solving problems, everything would grind to a halt!).

Please, if there is anyone who can comment on this, whether the whole issue of 'system image' is redundant, whether it is necessary at all, I would be grateful for a stab at this.

I have the sense that the answer is staring me right in the face, yet even HP Tech Support has no idea what it is.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
can2
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having this same issue, so I hope someone replies with answers.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation